Kiln Controller Options?

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by 0maha, Oct 20, 2020.

1. 0maha

0maha Silver

My ongoing project of starting investment casting continues...

Today's question: I've got a line on a great kiln for cheap. Big enough for me, and looks to be in great shape. Problem is there is no controller. As far as I know, it has an on/off switch and that's it.

I'm going to be using it to burn out flasks and bring them up to casting temp (probably using Rancast??), and I assume I'll need to adhere fairly close to the posted burnout schedule.

So, is there a good solution for adding an automatic timer/controller to this kiln? Preferably, a complete solution? I could piece one together, I suppose, using a PID and such, but I've got enough balls in the air right now as it is and would like to just get this detail sorted out as quickly as possible.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Auber Instruments. Get one that does ramp and soak with minimum of 30steps. If you search PID around here, you'll uncover my controller.
    https://www.auberins.com/index.php?...MI3vmD_IfE7AIVTNbACh1LgQvGEAAYASAAEgK4dfD_BwE

You won't want one that's a complete setup, you'll pay through the nose. Pick out a pid, then find the right SSR for your application. It will take you all of an hr to wire it.

I bought this one. https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4

I would NOT trust one with a built in SSR.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

4. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

What's the power level of your kiln? Single phase or 3-phase? How many separate coils?

Best,
    Kelly

5. 0maha

0maha Silver

It's single phase, but I don't know hoe many separate coils.

[​IMG]

Jason, thank's for the links and the info. Gonna dig in.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Putting that on a pid and ssr is easy. Just get the right ssr that matches your pid. If unsure, call Auber and they will set you straight with the right parts.

0maha likes this.
  7. rocco

rocco Silver

With regards to the ssr, there are at least two types, the most cheapest and common is a zero-crossing relay, the other type is a random turn-on relay, most pids can use either type but some might require the random turn-on type, before you buy the ssr, check your pid's spec sheet to see which type you need.

Jason likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

Rocco's right, talk with Auber, they know what you need. I was impressed with them the few times I called.

9. rocco

rocco Silver

FWIW, that USB compatible pid from Auber looks pretty slick. I'd love to see some user reviews on that unit, if it's as advertised, it could well be worth the extra $30-40.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah I saw that thing. Looks slick! Too bad I'm too stupid to figure it out!:oops: I had a hell of time with ramp and soak programming at first.:(

11. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member