Sil-bronze Sink!

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, May 21, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

I paid 8.44 per bd ft here for new stuff. It was nice and dry too. The smell of this stuff is incredible. I wanted black locust wood, but didnt want to mess with shipping. You can get that in your part of the world. Figure 40-50year life span for that stuff. PERFECT for decking material and not that expensive really.

Yeah, the natural gas ribbon burner pulls double duty. On the forge lined with kaowool and Mizzou and also on the glass gloryhole. That one is kaowool and satinite. Two for the price of one burner. Easy!

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah lots of black locust here. I like black walnut better. Has such a nice color to it.

Have you tried glass blowing? That's something I've always wanted to try out.

3. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

You are putting a lot of work into this. Great workmanship with a wide range of skills.

Jason likes this.
  4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Wow, that's a lot of work!

A skinned cat is a skinned cat. Good on you.

Nice find on those anchor screws too. I wouldn't have the nerve to drill the brick! How did you handle the drilling and tapping, BP?
    I'll be interested to see the shutters. That mahogany will be nice. It makes a very fine dust. You might find it under your toenails!
    FWIW I understand black walnut dust can have toxicity issues in some people and animals as well.

Jason likes this.
  5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Oh? Didn't know that about the walnut. I'll keep it in mind if I ever work with it again.

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I dont want disqualify a nice wood. It warrants some reading though.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup! Bridgeport all the way. Tapered tap run in under power to get it straight, then all by hand. Finished with a bottoming tap. Funny thing, that tapered tap broke on the spare 25th nut! Talk about luck! Buying good USA taps is money saved over cheap blowes irwin taps. I would have went through a dozen of them.

I REALLY hate drilling brick too, but it had to be done.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

5months since our bad storm and I'm almost caught up. The roof is new once again and I replaced the garage door, rebuilt the gas lanterns, installed new storm windows and finally hung the mahogany shutters I built today. Once the latches and shutter dogs are installed, I can FINALLY get back to this damn sink. My wife loves the new look of the house. Now she wants me to revamp the landscaping. I swear it never ends. These shutters were a much bigger project than I estimated and cost an insane amount of man hours. I'd like to think it was worth it. I'm sure the finish will need attention every couple of years, but the wood should never rot in my lifetime! I think mahogany usually lives 50years with no attention outside.

Test fit. Tongue and groove typical board and batten..

20201008_125201.jpg

Staining. Cabot gold, fireside cherry. I think my lathe is here somewhere!

20201016_014430.jpg

Still need shutter dogs and latches.

20201019_212355.jpg

20201019_212554.jpg

20201019_212634.jpg

Latches are still in work. They are also rusted too.
    20200818_173022.jpg

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I first looked at the unstained shutters and thought "man those would look so much better stained" and then I scrolled down. Wow, you really did a fantastic job. I really like the custom steel embellishments. Really makes the whole thing work, looks so good with the bricks. I'm going to have to scroll back and remind myself how you made those so identically.

Jason likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

I cut the washers on the mill using the DRO and a 1/2" carbide endmill. The nuts I milled to same length on the mill also. Then it was into the forge.
    The last photo of the latches, I drilled the holes with the mill and dro for spacing, then sliced the V's with an angle grinder. Again, into the forge and beat the snot out of them.

11. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Shutters look really cool

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks David!

13. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

I hope you get 50 years without any more hurricanes there. that is really great workmanship.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks man. This one was a really bad hail storm. It rained baseballs for 20mins.:eek:
    20200521_193852.jpg

15. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Scary. I had a car peppered with golf ball sized hail 20 years ago. But it was a Renault, so I didn't care :)

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah I wouldnt care about a Renault either. They quit importing them here around 1990 I think. They sent us the finest in junk called the fuego and the alliance . They couldnt handle hauling around 300lb fat asses or tolerate ignorant idiots that didnt believe in maintenance.

17. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

To prove I'm slow learner, once the hail damaged scenic finally died, I replaced it with another one. Turns out, at the very lowest point of the chassis (under the driver seat) there is a huge connector, with everything from ABS, Emissions, window signals etc over it. If your motor compartment drains block up, the water flows back through the aircon blower (killing it) and makes a jaccussi for that connector. Ask me how I know :( Never again.

Zapins likes this.
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

Brian on "Last man standing" drove a scenic. It was hillarious the way he would fawn over that car. Only to watch it get murdered by a pissed off Turkey in a front end loader. That show is a RIOT! Stupid as can be, but worth watching the series on net flix.

19. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I've got a scenic! The auto gearbox does what the hell it likes and the electrics are remotely controlled by some distant french bloke who commands when or if I want wipers or brake lights or aircon or all three at once. I guess at 150k i'll see how long I can further neglect it before it dies or kills me!

20. Jason

Jason Gold

I have seriously got to find some down time to get back to welding. Wife bought a gilt wood gesso French mirror from the 1800s to go over this sink. It weighs a ton! It has about 20spots where the bole and gesso is poking through. Anyone know what's the procedure for blending in these spots? Does this mean I need to learn to gold leaf ?? I've seen it done and looks like a real PITA!

20201207_192404.jpg

20201124_132748.jpg

20201124_132800.jpg

John Homer likes this.