Tin soldier mold

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by Billy Elmore, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

My buddy from Sweden found these at a Salvation Army store in Denmark. He got it for five bucks! Almost like the foundry in a box that we made for the school kids but with much cooler molds. I think its time we upgrade our version to have some cooler castings.LOL Anyway...tin is a great and easy way to get kids into molding and foundry activities. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to teach kids about foundries. You can also duplicate small objects to use as patterns very easily with a perfect finish. IMG_20201103_112517_resized_20201103_114507560.jpg IMG_20201103_112525_resized_20201103_114507331.jpg IMG_20201103_112529_resized_20201103_114507128 (1).jpg IMG_20201103_112533_resized_20201103_114506859.jpg

Mark's castings and FishbonzWV like this.
  2. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Cool. My mom use to tell about casting lead Civil-War-era soldiers likely using a similar setup. She said lots of kids did so when she was growing up in the late 20’s and 30’s here in the US.

Denis

Billy Elmore likes this.
  3. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Nils told me he had this same exact kit as a kid. I think I am going to have to share this with our PR people to get better molds for our foundry in a box.

4. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

I've got the rubber molds for Civil War soldiers. I think there are 8 of them. I believe they are for pewter, I cast some with lead and it seemed to be too hot for the rubber.

5. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Well, what may have been “lead” to my mom in her younger years might well have been pewter. She did not say what the molds were made from.

Denis

( 170–230°) C Pewter melting point
    327 C lead melting point

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  6. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Not sure what the molds are made out of except heat resistant rubber...that being said he has poured some with tin in his molds with no issues. Maybe the molds for his are made of different material?

7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Cool! I would have loved to play with that as a kid. Or now. Prince August Miniatures had a bunch of kits for casting little soldiers and orcs and stuff at home - some kind of rubber molds I think, molds, white metal, melting equipment, etc. A friend of mine got a few of their molds that came with a tiny crucible and a bunch of little ingots at a toy store on a family trip to Europe in the 80's.

What do you know, looks like they're still around:

https://shop.princeaugust.ie/

Jeff

Billy Elmore likes this.
  8. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Too cool!

9. rocco

rocco Silver

Billy Elmore likes this.
  10. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Well, there goes my night.

Interesting, they use ptfe rods as cores for some of those kits:

Jeff

Billy Elmore likes this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

I can't even get a proper KINDEREGG in America with a plastic toy inside! Imagine dipshit kids today playing with molten metal?:eek:

I agree, I would have loved a toy like that as a kid. Some silicones will tolerate lead, but I'm not sure about tin. Tin is cooler right?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  12. TRYPHON974

TRYPHON974 Copper

Yes it is, it melts at 230°C.

13. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I've thought the same thing but not just about kids..the thought of some adults worries me.lol

Tobho Mott likes this.