Intake Manifold Adapter

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by oldironfarmer, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Somebody put a modern six cylinder in a 32 Chevy but wanted to keep the original axle. I cut off the torque tube and made a u-joint at the axle to fit the 350 transmission. Engine had a four barrel manifold and we were finishing up the build. We had the original Carter W-1 carburetor and decided to use it on the late model engine so I lost foam cast a 1 to four barrel adapter. The W-1 will keep the horsepower down. Actually 1 in and two outside ports on the manifold were used.

Pattern:
    IMG_0086.JPG IMG_0087.JPG

Flange to match the W-1
    IMG_0088.JPG

Warming up
    IMG_0089.JPG

Milled but not drilled:
    IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0092.JPG IMG_0090.JPG

It runs just fine.
    IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG IMG_0611.JPG

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I love it when a plan comes together. Nicely done.

Pete

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Nice work OIF and application of LF. Happen to have a rough idea of how long it took you start to finish?

Best,
    Kelly

4. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Let’s see... this project demonstrates competence in, among other thing, IC engine design and modification, precision machining, pattern design and fabrication, foundry tool design and fabrication, furnace design and operation, and metallurgy. Why recount all that? Well, it’s good to just step back a moment and appreciate the complexity that making a little lump of aluminum actually represents. It’s ok to savor the fruition of countless learning steps that led up to this point.

Or, in fewer words: Well done.

Denis

5. Thanks for the kind words, Pete.

Thanks, Kelly. We cut and glued up the pattern one morning and coated it. Mid afternoon we poured. Pattern pictures posted were at 3:30 or so. It was faced by 5:30. Another hour to drill the holes and relieve for wrench access. Maybe five hours actual work time over two days. I was teaching the guy helping me. He is a paint and body man and hot rod mechanic as well as race car driving instructor. It seems we have skills which mesh. He is really excited about being able to cast what he wants. :) He also like the fact we can forge and weld a ring to make a size for machining we don't have.:D We now have this running joke "Dang, I think we need to cast one!" then we do.

Front guide for mechanical brakes for the 32 Chevy:

IMG_0151.JPG IMG_0152.JPG

A sorry job of sand casting copying but it fit and looks ok on the car. The big holes from the back are tapered 4 degrees so I had to make a tapered reamer.

:D Thanks, Denis! It is great when you get lucky!

The key for me is to keep trying.

6. rocco

rocco Silver

Great job and being able to share your skills and knowledge with some one that appreciates it, is the cherry on top, absolutely priceless.
    I gotta ask though, why the aftermarket Offenhauser manifold? I'm familiar with that manifold, the size of the runners is way bigger than you need or want for the carb you're using, wouldn't a stock manifold have been a more appropriate starting point?

7. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Tapered reamer, huh? OK, add tool making to the list!

Luck my ass!

Denis

8. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

To me, that's just great, when you can go from concept to working part in a day.....just fun and gratifying. Keep it coming.

Best,
    Kelly

9. The guy is about my son's age. Very savvy and respectful. We do have an excellent relationship. I'm very fortunate.

The car was all original, restored. A non-mechanic bought it and enjoys it immensely. He heard what he thought was a rod knocking so he shut it off and coasted to the side. he ahs money and some hot rods so he took it to his hot rod shop. They told him the engine could not be fixed (lost a dipper off a rod and damaged the rod and journal. It could have been fixed) so they jerked the engine out and put it in a dumpster but fortunately saved the accessories. They installed the rebuilt six and bought a fancy valve cover and intake manifold because that's what they do, along with a TH350 transmission. They cut the torque tube off the axle because they had never seen one, apparently, and then couldn't figure out how to get a u-joint onto it. They let it sit two years because the owner balked over swapping the axle out, getting hydraulic brakes and shiny wheels. He likes the factory wire. He finally retrieved it from the shop. I was telling my buddy how to fix it and got the "will you show me?" so it was in my shop several months as we went through it and hooked up the engine and transmission. By the way, we hooked the kickdown cable to the clutch so if you're struggling on a hill you hit the clutch to go to passing gear.:p Put a stick in the floor to match the original but it is a straight PRNDL pattern. We didn't want to buy anything he didn't really need.

You have a donkey named Luck? Cool!:cool:

Pretty easy to make a tapered reamer. I just cut a cone on the lathe then put it in a chuck on the mill and cut grooves and a little relief. Being tapered it cuts easily as you feed it into the part. I like to heat treat to a straw and usually get good results.

But thanks for the very kind words.

10. Thanks, Kelly. It sure helps to be retired.:D

We did a lot of stuff to get that old car on the road. His grandkids ride in the rumble seat and it does get used.

Tobho Mott likes this.