Don't Do This

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by PatJ, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Let us know petee how that thing cuts please. I've got a small mountain of 3inch thick bronze ingot I need to slice up soon.

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

If you can get ones without the slotted areas, the work better and dont bounce as much. fair warning though, they do load up when cutting aluminum and fling the build up off the wheel and into yourself...

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Will they last when cutting bronze?

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I havent used it that much to say for sure. Typically there is a fiber wheel in the cut off tool so I just use it rater then switch it out.. yea im lazy like that...

5. JoeC

JoeC Copper

10_420x420-resize420x420-trim-gravityCenter-bordercolorWhite-extent420x420.jpg

We changed over to Fein grinders with the ergo handle in our foundry.

They cost a bit more but are tough as nails, and they run smoothly.

The gears feel like silk when you turn them by hand, German engineering, its in the details, even the cord is made of nice material, it coils up with just a flick of the wrist. And they have power, wow looks like I could write an ad for them

The head can be rotated 90 degrees for side cutting

The ergo handle really helps, we will never go back to the old design, you don't need the death grip that causes carpal tunnel, you can control with a loose hand

We would go through several other brands a week, the first Fein we bought just got brushes replaced ($6) and it is still fine almost a year later

Very impressed with Fein

FoundryJoe

6. OCD

OCD Silver

I like.

Have owned a few FEIN tools over the years and they are TOP notch.

As the saying goes, Cry Once.

The 1100W w/ 700W output is only $189, not bad at all.
    Hmmmmm, I see me getting a new grinder soon.

The 1500W w/900W output is another story, $300. :eek:

Can't see spending another $110 for an additional 200 watts output though.

I remember when they first came out with the Domino cutter.
    I had a cabinet shop at the time and purchased the kit, close to $1K. :eek::eek::eek:

IT, was a nice piece though. :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  7. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I would like to hear how that blade works.
    I tried a diamond blade in a tile saw to cut floor tiles, and it lasted a good while, but then the chips wore off and I had to replace it.

Edit:
    That looks like quite a nice angle grinder.
    I will have to keep that in mind next time I buy one.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

I have to scratch my head when I see Northern tool sells this them... (and all their crap comes from China) Do they just sell the low end versions or are they made in china under name of Fein???
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200635676_200635676?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Power Tools > Grinders + Accessories > Corded Handheld Grinders&utm_campaign=Fein&utm_content=46162&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9pm2qrWR1gIVkItpCh1o-w2JEAQYAiABEgI-cPD_BwE

Thats what I paid for my dewalt and its 10amps. Didn't look, but probably from China too.
    https://feintools-online.com/fein-g...MI9pm2qrWR1gIVkItpCh1o-w2JEAAYASAAEgLAs_D_BwE
    Looks like a good time to buy one. Everything is on sale right now.

9. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Well I have some results. Unfortunately Jason I don't have any bronze or stainless to cut so I don't have any info on that but I've tested several other metals. I was a little fooled by the slots in the blade. I kind of thought it would act like a toothed tool for some reason. It doesn't.

Aluminum is a short discussion. DavidF was spot on about the loading. It's performance was lackluster. Slow going. I also experienced the bounce that David mentioned. Toothed bladed tools like bandsaw and sawzall work better.

Red brass cut like butter. I cut a 3" long slice about 1.5" deep into a solid portion of a water valve body in about 20 seconds. No loading. Nice and clean. No bouncing.

Cast iron cut at about the same rate that a regular consumable blade would cut steel. Very effective. Clean cut. Short sparks like you would expect from cast.

Mild steel cuts ok. A bit slower than a normal cutting blade but it will get the job done. If you want to do neat work you need to take your time. Hogging will leave a nasty burr.

So there's some pros and cons so far. I hoped for better performance on aluminum. I'll stick to the bandsaws for aluminum, but I could use the angle grinder in a pinch. I will continue to use it for the time being for steel. Although it takes a bit longer to cut and a little more care is required (read no hacking) the economy will more than make up for it I think. The steel cutting I did this evening would have probably consumed at least one blade not counting the cast and nonferrous, and the diamond coating doesn't show any sign of wear. The paint on it certainly does, but the edge is intact.
    A couple other things worth mentioning is that there was way, way less mess. Also no stink. You know the stink I'm talking about. The spark tail (don't know what you call it) was far less than I'm used to as well. I'll still be using my sheetmetal spark shroud because, you know, fire, but it seems safer in that respect.
    As an FYI I'm using a 4-1/2" Dewalt 10amp grinder.

Pete

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Awesome Pete, great writeup! I have some bronze ingot to cut up tomorrow, I'll pick one up in the am and give it a whirl. Lowes or Hd?

11. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Lowes
    (Wow, only 5 letters!)

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Cool

(It'll take 4 letters!)

13. Jason

Jason Gold

I picked up one of those Lennox diamond blades today. Lowes only sells the ones with the cut outs.. :-( It goes through bronze much better than the normal cutting wheels. It does try to bounce a little and sometimes will grab and try to send you into low earth orbit. Works good, but ya gotta keep your wits about you. Thanks for the suggestion, I wouldn't use it on ferrous stuff however.

14. dennis

dennis Silver

Unless, of course, the grinder speaks German. I'm about sold on them Metabos...

15. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

The all aluminum 9" Porter Cable I used when I was younger was a whole lot more dangerous than a 4-1/2" or 5" from anybody! Wire wheels are way worse than grinding wheels for meat removal. Those diamond wheels are a little slower cutting than abrasive wheels. However without the grinding wheel grit, and staying full size until they are completely worn out they do have their place.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Now that looks like bad news!:eek:

17. Is it wrong that I want to see it in action, maybe it's a melee weapon swung by the power cord overhead.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

Not at all. It looks like a makeshift solution from a 3rd world armpit! Like, New Jersey!:D

19. GTS225

GTS225 Silver

Might I suggest to the OP, stop locking your switch on, (if it's capable), and go with a foot switch. Harbor Freight sells one for a reasonable amount.
    Another added level of safety, and your intestines just might stay on the inside, where they belong.

Roger