1/4 scale '41 Willys

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by ESC, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Where the downthumb or middle finger??:p
    That cylinder head is a work of art. The design of the XK is from guys sitting on fire watch during the war. It remained in production largely unchanged for 50years. Only engine close to that is the V8. The only difference is the dohc is down right sexy.;)

2. rocco

rocco Silver

I'm with Jason on this one, There are lots of other things available to cut up and melt down, that Jag head should go somewhere that's it'll be shown some love and put back into service.

Jason likes this.
  3. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

It's been over a month, any progress on the Willys? Enquiring minds want to know.

Don.

4. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Minimal progress. I was given a Kwikway Boring bar and have spent some time rebuilding it and then I couldn't turn down a '62 Baja bug and had to start looking for an engine and then spent some time making electrodes to cut the fins on the 1/3 scale Harley and had a couple misrun crankshafts for the smallblock to machine between centers in preparation for setup in the grinder for the rod journals.
    I did make caliper brackets and mocked up with the calipers and four link brackets. I have to adjust the backset on the mags and machine them to clear the calipers, so the track width is still up in the air.

IMG_20200126_141625.jpg

Tobho Mott, joe yard and Jason like this.
  5. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

OK.... So you just been sitting around on your butt doin' nuthin' in other words? Like the rest of us slackers?

DavidF likes this.
  6. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Hey David, scored some more Jag aluminum to melt.

IMG_20200320_125404.jpg

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Not funny... You have no idea what that stuff is worth. If I told, you'd piss yourself!

Hub carriers, radius arms and diffs are dumb money with the right gear set. They look 1980s to me with bolt on wheels. If you are scrapping, please hit up the boys on jag lovers forum. They might be eternally grateful.

8. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That jag rear would go good in my vicky...
    Those junk buckets are good for something...

9. DavidF

Any updates??

10. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

I got distracted. Shades of your '56 Buick.

IMG_20200927_174253.jpg IMG_20201020_161731.jpg IMG_20200705_181536.jpg IMG_20200711_102334.jpg

IMG_20200706_130353.jpg

I guess I had already posted some of these.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  11. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Oh, and then there was the fire.

IMG_20200802_235411.jpg IMG_20200806_082339.jpg

Other than that, not much.

12. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Oh no. Fire? Your shop? Say it aint so.

Best,
    Kelly

13. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

No, those were before and after pictures. The fire came over the mountain and then burned across behind the shop. I was on the flank and it took 9 of my 12 acres sparing the house and shop. I was spraying the house with Thermo Gel at 12:30 AM and wetting embers around the propane tanks before any fire trucks showed.

The day before they were laying a retardant line, then after dark the wind shifted and the fire came across the south side of my property via the real narrow finger in the previous photo. They had stopped it from going south behind the windsock.
    IMG_20200802_173810.jpg

A couple days later, I think this particular fire was about 6000 acres.
    IMG_20200831_082533.jpg

14. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Wow, that's cutting it close. Not to anyway diminish the rest of the property damage, but at least it stands to naturally recover in time. Don't know how grown up it was but doesn't look like anyone is going to be sneaking up on you anytime soon.

Take care,
    Kelly

15. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Wow, close one. My parents live in forest fire country in the Okanagan valley of British Columbia and have come close to having to evacuate on several occasions. Scary stuff!

Jefff

16. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Nevada is renewed by fire. There was a big one through here in 1996, before the house was built, so I figure I'm safe for 25 years. And although I'm 75, as OldIronFarmer says, I've got my whole life ahead of me. The fact that it is Sagebrush and Bitterbrush with small dimension fuel reduces the ember size as opposed to Tobho's folks in a forest with 100 hr fuel sources.

17. DavidF

All I can say is "YIKES!" Too close for comfort...

18. Peedee

Peedee Silver

That is scary stuff, glad you are OK.

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah, that's too close for comfort! Glad all is okay.

20. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Thanks guys. It was like living in the bottom of an ashtray for a while, but the zephyrs came through and blew all the ash to Idaho. It will green up in the Spring, and start the cycle again.