New high speed blower modifications

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Mark's castings, Jan 11, 2021.

1. I'm getting sick of lugging a 2Hp blower around, so I bought some small bikes for $5 each and today cut them up and I welded the wheels onto the base of the blower. There'll be enough room on the base to carry the fuel pump too with it's steel and iron body. It'll have a pull handle and Ackermann steering too.... while I was looking at it, it occurred to me that with a really long extension cord it might have enough thrust to get up to a decent speed :D:rolleyes:o_O.

mobile blower.jpg

joe yard, TRYPHON974, Jason and 6 others like this.
  2. dennis

dennis Silver

Full scream ahead, and straight on 'til molten!

Nice!

Mark's castings likes this.
  3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Hell, you won't even have to pull it!

4. rocco

rocco Silver

Fun!! But that means you'll have to add back handle bars and a seat.

5. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I’m sure glad you kept the pink wheels on the left and yellow on the right. It would have driven me crazy had you mixed them up. :rolleyes:

Nice clean functional design. Good work! Adding the fuel pump will be great. You are going to smile each time you roll this thing out.

Denis

6. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looks great and should make setting up a little easier. Nice...

You ought to attach a sail, positioned to catch the blower's output. Then she'll really move! :D

Jeff

7. Make sure your caster, camber, and toe in are right or you won't get much tire life...

Jimmymmm and Mark's castings like this.
  8. dennis

dennis Silver

Addendum: blower.gif

Note: this is an *old* drawing.

9. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Thats all you need, having to chase your blower around the back yard during a casting session..
    Make for one funny video for sure!! Lol

10. Thanks for the comments everyone, Jeff, I can see you're a fan of the same cartoon physics as myself :rolleyes:.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  11. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

^^So to speak

Denis

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Huffy would be proud!

13. I have to fit a fake bike seat and handlebars then take a photo for the Internet with some story about how some dude died on it while setting a new speed record or something o_O.

14. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

So might your neighbors!
    You might make use of the coaster brakes.

Pete

15. dennis

dennis Silver

Question: is this a "Chastain-style blower," or your own design?

(Complements much intended)

16. The blower is based on a salvaged impeller out of a local clothing store that had a vacuum tube system to suck small pods full of cash and paperwork from the cash registers back to the office upstairs: there were three "sucker" units running off a single 7.5Hp motor and shaft. I had one of the sheet aluminium rotors but had to build the housing for it from scratch. A one HP blower is more than enough for a furnace so I throttle the exhaust with a butterfly valve. On first tests it accidentally ended up forming an air raid siren as I had a static blade close to the impeller rim but cutting the blade at an angle fixed it:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021