New member - Ontario, Canada

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by DaveB, Jan 13, 2021.

1. DaveB

DaveB Lead

Hello All,

Another new member. I've thought foundry work was pretty cool for quite some time but my real passion has always been machining so I've spent most of my time filling my garage with old milling machines and the like.

I mostly joined up hoping I could find someone that might have use for 6061 chips and to maybe find a local that might be able to cast something for me now and then in trade for machining services, cash, etc.

So anyone near Ottawa, Ontario wants 150-200lbs of 6061 chips? The local recycling guys I've tried don't value it much at all so I figure someone with a home foundry might be the ideal candidate? Or maybe casting from chips is not desirable, having no foundry experience I don't really know...

-Dave

2. rocco

rocco Silver

Welcome Dave! One of these forums' more active members, Jeff (aka Tobho Mott) is also in the Ottawa area. As for the chips, I don't think you'll find any takers here, 6061 is a less than ideal casting alloy and chips in general create a lot of dross. A rule of thumb for casting is, melt castings to make castings and avoid other alloys like extrusions,cans etc.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  3. DaveB

DaveB Lead

Ah, very useful feedback. Thanks Rocco.

4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hey, wow! Yup, I'm just outside Ottawa. Rocco's right, I don't have any use for your chips. But maybe we can help each other out sometime as you say, since I don't know any machinists around here. :D

Jeff