Motorcycle Cylinder Sample

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Al2O3, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I had to escape Winter for a while. Since I’ve been back it hasn’t been above 0F. Next week looks better with temps near freezing so I’ll have a go at casting then. I did get the smaller pieces sprued and dipped.

43 Small Parts Dipped.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

2. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Look forward to seeing these next castings. Top work you are doing there.
    Mark

3. Al2O3

Finally, some decent weather…….and dry pavement! I got them cast up. They turned out well.

45 Castings.JPG 46 Castings.JPG 47 Castings.JPG 48 Castings.JPG

Here’s a video recapping the project.

Best,
    Kelly

Rocketman, Weldor4life, DaveZ and 7 others like this.
  4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looks good Kelly

5. Michael

Michael Lead

You do fantastic work, thanks for sharing.

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hot digity those look great! Super impressive work.

7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Wow! Those fins are super thin.

Jeff

8. They look fantastic!.

9. kisoia

kisoia Lead

Great work and results! What refractory coating are you using on your patterns these days?

10. Al2O3

Thanks for the comments and likes guys. I was surprised to see the fins fill on the small ones. The patterns were so weak the .050"t fins stuck to themselves when I dip coated them until I clear out some slurry.

Have a look here.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/lost-foam-dip-coating-rig-–-the-big-dipper.776/#post-20815

.....but you could probably get same/similar result with thinned non-setting dry wall joint compound.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/dip-coating-polystyrene-foam.573/

Best,
    Kelly

11. kisoia

kisoia Lead

Thanks, I saw that you were first using non-setting drywall mud (called "topping" around here), and then used some commercial coating that had a green color, but missed the posts about the Poly-Cap 600.

12. Rocketman

Rocketman Silver Banner Member

Incredible work!

13. Wow, I know this was a while ago b ut I am working on making a Matchless or a JAP engine from scratch and I am debating whether to go with a liquid cooled cylinder or finned cylinder. It seems like you figured this all out and I am wondering if you have figured any other things out (any pitfalls) since then. I wil keep on reading and learning from the master. Thank you, John

14. Al2O3

This was sort of an art of the possible experiment for making finned cylinders in lost foam. Pretty hard to beat air cooled engines for simplicity and light weight. Liquid cooled engines can be quite compact and promote better and more uniform cooling at the expense of some additional overhead, pump, radiator, sealing, hoses, etc, but lost foam can be a useful method for all the coolant coring without having to make all the core box tooling. Of course, you need to be able to fabricate the foam pattern. This was one of my very early experiments for engine water jackets:

Unsupported Closed Loose Sand Coring In Lost Foam | The Home Foundry

I have made many, many, process improvements since then, and gained a lot of experience in how to support such cored features.

Best,
    Kelly