New member from Manitoba, Canada

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Manitoba Man, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Manitoba Man

Manitoba Man Copper

2. Manitoba Man

Manitoba Man Copper

Jason The. Borgwatd factoryb tooling, designs and tbe whole works was sold to Mexico. I saw some sedans there in 1972 but never tbe beautiful Isabella. I kind of thought from the back view it was a Borgward. Reminds me of the sporty two door Studebaker model.

Being Swedish the SAAB , initials foe Swedish Aircraft Company was liquid cooled and had a great heater. The engine was based on a German DKW design.

Jason likes this.
  3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

....already own a mill and a lathe so I'm not a likely customer....just a tool junkie. I've made a lot of specialized machinery but when it comes to a lathe or mill, for me, there would have to be some very unique capability that it suits to consider building over buying a used or vintage machine. The vertical headstock travel sounds unique. The cost of freight is an issue with any purchase but if you really want to sell them, I think you'll need to come up with a details description of what they are and their capabilities, or you'll have a tough time attracting buyers.

Best,
    Kelly

4. Manitoba Man

Manitoba Man Copper

I hear you Kelly and appreciate the feedback. Selling the kits is daunting and or maybe impossible for me but I hate to see them go to scrap.

It brings up the real reason we build things if there is not a specific and absolute need for them. My unfinished homemade hydraulic iron worker for example. .
    Some of us just like building things.
    Temp -30C or -22F.
    Bob

5. Al2O3

Oh, I'm with ya on that, but buying some machinery just helps me build more machinery sooner!

Best,
    Kelly

6. JCSalomon

JCSalomon Copper

I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread, if you figure out how much you want for the kit+shipping. The please-don’t-go-1789 money should leave some room for a splurge like this.

7. Manitoba Man

Manitoba Man Copper

Broken cast iron rad cap on old tractor had missing feathers. Lost foam was stuck directly on to two steel two screws in cast iron and aluminum poured. It was painted to match the orange later.

upload_2021-3-14_23-16-24.png

Easter coming and all.
    upload_2021-3-14_23-5-30.png

Left this one as cast for a guy called....

upload_2021-3-14_23-4-30.png

Lost foam half-head, cleaned up.

upload_2021-3-14_23-3-11.png

Foam pattern to make a mortising fence and hold down for wood worker's drill press.
    upload_2021-3-14_23-0-43.png

How it turned out before cutting off the runners.

upload_2021-3-14_23-2-10.png

My foundry upload_2021-3-14_22-58-44.png

Al2O3 and Tobho Mott like this.
  8. Al2O3

Nice job MM. It's great to be able to put metal where you want it and LF offers great design freedom..........No parting lines, no draft, no cores.

9. Manitoba Man

Manitoba Man Copper

JC Re: Mill/lathe kits. Sorry not replying earlier. Shipping would depend a lot on where you are and where I am. I am an hour north of the Canada US border. That is north of North Dakota. If you live in Florida....I am not clear on your 1789 money reference. Educate me. Price can only be fixed after I scratch my head a lot or I get constructive feedback. If you want I can open a box with the parts in it and lay it on the garage floor and make a video or take still pictures. What say you? In 2021 English!

Regards
    Bob Braun

10. Manitoba Man

Manitoba Man Copper

PS
    I can also weight the box and contents.