First attempt at crucible tool

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Stephen Robson, Feb 25, 2021.

1. dennis

dennis Silver

"That crucible, It's bright..."

Nice tinned suit, too. This vid should be part of the curriculum as to "proper foundry wear."

2. That's video of Jason doing some lost wax casting in bronze.

dennis likes this.
  3. bill

bill Silver

I think I am going to try this!!! I do have or have had sticking problems in the past.

Now that's funny, mine is spot welded on. I only remove it to R&R the black steel pipe and flare after they have melted off. It's not a fancy furnace....

4. dennis

dennis Silver

Thanks for the closeup pictures. Downloaded all of them for the foundry/tools/tongs/ directory.

Question: what were your welding settings, if you recall?

5. I remove my burner before I remove the crucible. Mine is a drip burner so the motor oil cokes in the drip tube if I leave it exposed to radiant heat. Operating a burner cools and protects it by running cool air and fuel through it, regardless of the burner type. The sooner it is removed from the heat the longer it lasts.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Welding settings? I'm a TIG guy so when messing with steel, I usually set 175amps and use the foot pedal. Good rule of thumb for most steel welding is 1amp per thousandth of an inch.

7. rocco

rocco Silver

If you want to see how NOT to design crucible tools, check out this guy, sooner or later, he's going to get serious injured.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    bobhurd3d likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

That was almost as good as picking up the crucible with kaowool gloves!:eek:

9. Those rubber gumboots would melt onto his flesh with that molten metal, looks like iron or bronze.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Sure it's not brass? My bronze never smokes.

dennis likes this.
  11. dtsh

dtsh Silver

I'd take the golves over that nonsense (not that I'd be keen on the gloves either). You see how he just flings the crucible back in? Between the sad tools and the wreckless abandon I imagine there will be a lesson learned sooner or later.

12. He's using charcoal by the looks of it and has the crucible pretty hot, I assumed bronze because why would you even bother to make iron ingots except to sell online. Maybe the Minecraft, Fallout or Rust crowd would want to buy iron ingots :rolleyes:.

I'd say the crucible got flung as his nearly bare arms would be getting too hot from the radiant heat and he was nearing his limit.

Jason and dtsh like this.
  13. I wanted to comment n his video but am pretty sure he already knows most everything.

I think bare feet would be preferable to melted rubber and plastic on your feet.

bill likes this.
  14. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I agree. Thats why I only cast fully naked.

Tobho Mott, oldironfarmer and bill like this.
  15. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I usually wear my leather thong. You know, for safety ;)

16. Zapins

Zapins Gold

To each their own ;) everyone's got their own technique.

17. Jason

Jason Gold

In the summer time, I go strictly commando in my metal space suit!:p

18. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I asked. Brass and coal. The physical treatment is bad enough, but the amount of air blast in the coal fire will make for a very short crucible life.

Pete

dennis likes this.
  19. dennis

dennis Silver

Doesn't coal tend to have sulfur in it? At least one person here - I think - said sulfur/powder residues and brass do not mix.

Then there's the fumes...

20. dennis

dennis Silver

Never smokes? Sold!

Jason likes this.