Hello

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Gary Glisan, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Gary Glisan

Gary Glisan Copper

So, if I could find someone to make a custom emblem for her, it would be like a cherry on top. I am looking in to making it myself, but I'm not sure that is realistic. Need this, but instead of 289, I need it to say 408.

20210216_092759.jpg

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looking good! I'm still fixing rust on my latest project. I'm hoping to have it done by August , but this cold weather is holding me up on alot of things.
    Note to self, stop buying projects!!
    20201120_145158.jpg

3. DavidF

I can, but would need one so I can cad model it.

4. bill

bill Silver

56 Century??? Salmon Pink is the way to go!!!

5. Gary Glisan

Gary Glisan Copper

That is going to one nice ride! I love to see people working on their projects! I need to keep digging in this forum, I'm just amazed at what you guys create. The only foundry "experience " i have is 8th grade shop class. They were letting us make the Pennsylvania state flag logo license plates out of cast aluminum. None of us, individually, got much experience, more or less just an exposure to the craft.

6. Gary Glisan

Gary Glisan Copper

You would do it!? You wouldn't believe how excited I am right now! I will gladly send you a "289" version. If you would like to email me details, I'll get it out to you.

Thanks!

7. DavidF

I'll send you the information tonight...

8. bill

bill Silver

Pennsylvania Department of Corrections......o_O

Love the car by the way.... My younger brother stored his 64 1/2 in my garage for 10 years. Looked exactly like your picture. I still have parts hanging on the wall.

Glad your getting your emblem hope to see it when it's finished.
    Where in PA are you?

9. Gary Glisan

Gary Glisan Copper

South western, near Nemicolin Resort

10. DavidF

That's only about 4 hours from me which means that usps can get a package from my house to yours in about 3 weeks... :rolleyes:

11. Gary Glisan

Gary Glisan Copper

Haha! So true!

12. Gary Glisan

Gary Glisan Copper

Ordered a basic "How-to" book for starting a home foundry. Want to see what I might be getting into.

13. DavidF

Depends on how far you want to go down the rabbit hole. Casting can be very basic and simple starting out if you just looking to make a couple small pieces. We're here to help :)

14. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

For 35 bucks.

15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Haha yeah 3 weeks is about right.

16. bill

bill Silver

Gary did you buy that car north of Pittsburgh twenty plus years ago? If so, you may have left this here in my garage. HaHa IMG_3078.jpeg

This was the book I used when I needed some confirmation I was doing things somewhat correctly.
    Lost-Wax Casting: Old, New, and Inexpensive Methods Paperback – Illustrated, February 23, 2006

by Fred R. Sias Jr., (Author) This book helped me get over the first learning hump.

If you get more serious and want to sand cast then also read the U.S. Navel Foundry Manual. This was the most helpful book I read.

Another good read I found here on this site. I apologize for not crediting whomever directed me to this resource. I found the refence in someone's post. The Hobbyist's Guide to Casting Metal--2nd Edition (web)

17. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It's a sticky in the Furnaces and Construction subforum. There is a pdf attached to the bottom of Post #1 that can be downloaded.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/foundry-tutorial.1487/

Best,
    Kelly

18. bill

bill Silver

That's the one. Thanks Kelly. Should be a prerequisite before asking too many questions....LOL

19. DavidF

Received the emblem a few days ago. Working on getting the dimensions off it now and starting the cad model. Stay tuned!
    ( I'll probably start another thread and post the link here when I do)
    20210311_154838.jpg

20. Gary Glisan

Gary Glisan Copper

Hi David, I have been busy with work lately. How did the roof project go? Lumber prices keep going up. Hopefully I can finish my bathroom before the end of May. I'm going to see my engine builder for the Mustang tomorrow. I hope he has good news. Parts are getting hard to get.

Did you decide to make a thread for the emblem?