Tap Wrench

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Let's see em boys! I'm tired of tearing up my damn hands with this Irwin piece of junk! What should I buy? I want it to feel good in my hands, require little effort and NOT SLIP! No I dont wanna make one.

16162855866396950790696311898332.jpg

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Roflmao.... yea, there's that....

3. Jason

Jason Gold

You have a warped mind. Should I just spring for a snap on?

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Nah, I have a good one out in the garage but don't feel like going out there to see what brand it is.

Yeah, you set y I urself up for that one..
    Lol

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

How big of a tap due you want to run? Considered buying a tapping head to use on your mill?

Best,
    Kelly

6. Geez Jason, you got a machine shop now and some 4140 bar.....:D. I broke an old Patience and Nicholson tap handle with some overly complex left and right hand threads and made this one instead from 4140 pre-hard bar. It has some zinc magnesium manganese plating from some online recipe that I've never been able to duplicate again. I'm going to make a big one with some 4140 1&1/4" hex bar I bought for cheap.

tap handle 1.JPG

tap handle 2.JPG

Gear Wrench have a nice ratchet tap handle, sold under many names too:

gear wrench.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Jason likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

I don't need to run enormous taps, largest I probably will do by hand is 1/2".
    That's a pretty slick wrench you have there Mark, I'm just being lazy and didn't want to make one.

8. Added a pic of the Gear Wrench brand, they are nice in the hand to use.

9. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

If you do a lot of plate tapping such that you're only tapping a diameter or two, you can buy a set of tap sockets for <$30 and use a cordless drill. Instead of 4 flute hand taps best to use 2 or 3 flute taps for added strength. Spirals are recommended for continuous tapping but not necessary for through wholes that are only a diameter or two. When I'm tapping a lot holes that aren't critical, I'll use them for #10 through 3/8" and maybe 1/2" depending.

Best,
    Kelly

Bldr J likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

11. OMM

OMM Silver

Big tap wrenchs are good for big jobs. Back in 2000 I got fed up and built a big one. I want it foldable so it would fit in a standard toolbox drawer. I also wanted to be able to add a pipe to the handles if I wanted it bigger. This is what I came up with. it is made from 1 inch diameter 01 tool steel and heat treated. I was just a kid then. So don’t critique it too harshly (or the welds).

44B4E039-FB92-4A74-9A39-36B6E5F3D9B0.jpeg

B7F7D622-FA18-4840-B453-61937EAE519E.jpeg

I copied it from one that was given to me that was about 7 inches long, In the next picture.

The two on the left and the one in the middle on the right are homemade. The two on the left are my favourite for smaller taps, Half inch or smaller. I personally have only made the big one
    63714688-69CE-4803-96F2-7A43C68BBD06.jpeg

I do you have two or three others in this style.
    this one is 18 inches long. DB4EEE52-8D81-4A9A-8C67-261C908B5D6E.jpeg

And in one of my courses I have a bonus project of a simple tap wrench project.

Tobho Mott, Mark's castings and Jason like this.