Buy a house?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Some crappy pics of us digging up all the soil and dumping it on the inside of the fence to make flower beds. I got some miracle grow soil to replace it. But I'll need a hell of a lot more to finish the garden up.

Soo many weeds.

20210323_193716.jpg 20210323_193721.jpg

Clay likes this.
  2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looks like a hell of alot better ground than what I have to deal with...

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Thats because all the soil I dug up is miracle grow haha. My soil is pretty clay filled. So its not that nice. I'll take pics later of it.

I have about 8.2 cubic yards of compost coming tomorrow morning. Which is going to be very fun to move all over my garden by hand...

4. DavidF

That's alot of compost.... it breaks down fast though...

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Breaks down? As in compress down?

6. DavidF

Compost = just magically disappears...

It's more of a soil conditioner is the best way I can explain it.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Note: Dog poop is not compost!:p

8. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Not as-is, but I add it to the compost heap and have for many, many years.

It can be surprising how much one can alter heavy clay soils in just a few years. I started my beds 5 years ago and initially it was all clay, but I add compost, old potting soil, and cardboard. 5 years later the garden plots are all very nice soil with good tilth about 14" deep and it produces well. About 20% of my plots sit idle each year, I ammend them like the other plots, plus I lay cardboard boxes on top of them and all the weeds and debris I pull from the beds gets heaped on top of them and next year the plots move to another spot. I did half the area with a tiller on the little tractor and the other half with a grub hoe. The tractor is obviously faster when opening lots of new area, but I tend to just grab the hoe and work an hour of so each day.

Over time much of the compost fully breaks down

As for compost, my pile is probably a tad larger than most at somewhere around 10-15 cubic yards, but the garden sees only a wheelbarrow or two of that a year. I add kitchen scraps, dog poop, donkey poop, cow poop (when we have them), large tree branches, whole carcasses, pretty much anything I can manage to get covered. If I had my way, when I'm done here they'd just lay me down and push the pile over me so I can keep working the land longer.

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Do you think I need to till the ground under the compost i add or just dump it on top and start planting? I don't think the ground is too compacted in most areas since the area near the fences don't get a lot of traffic and aren't stepped on that much.

I got 6.65 tons of compost delivered and 2 to 3 tons of black topsoil from near the river delivered. I'll mix them together to make a more substantial soil.
    IMG959293.jpg IMG959290.jpg IMG_9304.jpg 638291412.jpg

Clay likes this.
  10. DavidF

I would just put the topsoil down first, then put about an inch of compost on top.

11. dtsh

dtsh Silver

I always mix it up but my beds aren't raised; eventually the stuff you add will get mixed in, but I like to speed the process and get a nice uniform soil for the roots and make it easier for them to grow in the soil. Among all the other issues of clay, it compacts easy and becomes harder for the plants to put down roots. If you're putting down less than 12" of new, I would dig up what you have and mix it all so it's at least 12" deep, preferably more.

Nice looking dog BTW.

12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Thanks we have 2 doggos.

I lay down about 6 inches of compost so far. I probably need to go back and add a little more. Without proper raised boxes for the flower patches I'm not sure that I can get 12 inches to stay piled up for long without slumping out. Ill see how it goes though.

I'm surprised how much compost was delivered. We moved about 72 cubic feet today in about an hour. It looks like we moved about 1/8th of the compost but who knows. His flat bed was only 16x7x2 (225 cu ft) so I'm not sure how we could have 8x more left to go. Time and dump carts will tell though. We made about 20 feet of new flower beds so far.

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Pics of progress. Only got one wagon load done today since its been pouring. But we did dig the wood into the ground to prevent soil escaping out the back.

20210325_191321.jpg 20210325_191344.jpg
    20201219_203152.jpg
    20210325_193113.jpg
    20210325_192653.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    Mark's castings, Clay and John like this.
  14. Peedee

Peedee Silver

My father in law grew the best tomatoes ever on the sewerage beds at the refinery effluant plant (I'm told, I never knowingly ate one)

15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Spent a good 5 or 6 hrs digging out the soil. Only moved about 56 cubic feet of the compost but managed to dig out almost all of the old soil in the vegetable garden and I dug up the old flower bed (and irises? In the wagon) next to the gazebo which was pretty rough work. Hopefully tomorrow I'll finish up the back yard.

Check out the native clay soil. You can see my finger prints in it.

20210327_173447.jpg 20210327_211614.jpg 20210327_211631.jpg 20210327_211649.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    Clay likes this.
  16. DavidF

You'll have to try that ground on your next casting session .
    Bet it would work ;):p:D

17. rocco

rocco Silver

Just for giggles, fire some of that clay. A number of years ago we fired a little bit of our local blue clay and something totally expected happened, when fired it turned a beautiful dark green colour with small yellow flecks, not useful for pottery but it might have made a really nice glaze.

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I've been thinking about firing it as well. But the guy I bought soil from down by the river has a cave on his property right next to the river and apparently it has a lot of pure clay in the bottom of it. So he was going to dig some up for me to fire and see what happens. Then if it turns out well I will buy a truck load or so from him and make lots of pots for the garden and maybe tiles.

I'm interested in making glazes but I don't know the details of that very well. Something to look into.

19. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Got only minimal work done on hauling soil maybe 2 buckets of vegetable patch soil moved. But I ended up charing one 16x4 ft vegetable patch raised box frame. Supposedly charring the wood will make it last 50 to 100 years in ground (if I get 5 years ill be happy).

I finally found a use for my original furnace burner (the one with the flare that works in air). It's been sitting in my scrap metal bucket for 9 years waiting for its time to shine this day.

20210328_215704.jpg 20210328_215634.jpg

20. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Made one box. Burned enough wood for another one. Unfortunately I'm on nights shift so progress will now be slow.

Also bought 6x 275 gallon totes all food grade for water storage. Will be getting some bulk heads to connect them together soon. Then I can start collecting water.

639270829(1).jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.