Scored a YouTube-famous-ish railroad track anvil!

Discussion in 'Black smithing projects' started by Tobho Mott, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

When I made my stand I filled the legs with lead. Took a ton of tire weights to fill three legs. When I was pouring them, I could hear something wasn't quite right and backed away. I'm still scraping lead off the driveway.:oops:

Proof there is no cure sometimes for dumbass.

2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

A real anvil is too expensive to be very high on my wish list, for the amount of use the one I have actually gets. I have really only done one blacksmithing project at my home shop so far, if you can even call it that, and it was a small one:
    http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/in...el-horse-stirrup-parts.1253/page-4#post-32053

When the time comes that I actually need an anvil type thing I can really pound on to make something I need though, I know I'll be glad to have the chunk of rail, even if it is not the biggest step up from my tiny little princess auto cast iron benchrop ASO which works well for straightening softer nails. That would have worked fine for the kiddie stirrup thing too probably, but the rail anvil is more fun to stand in front of pretending to know how to use it!

Jeff