What is the "right" amount of moisture for greensand?

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Tobho Mott, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

From the 'what not to do' thread:

There was some discussion along these lines (not so much worried about molds exploding, but rather about avoiding steam-related casting defects) on another site recently, namely youtuber Paul's Garage's Discord server (a kind of chat site, with a section devoted to casting and forging and machining), and it got me thinking. How do you know when enough moisture is enough, as opposed to almost enough or a little too much. It's not so hard to figure out the difference between way too dry or way too wet and close to ideal, but once you're close, I guess it mainly comes down to experience. Or maybe there are a few tricks people are using? I know I don't have nearly as much experience with this as some of our members, and I was thinking maybe you guys have some nuggets of wisdom to add.

So on Friday when the temperature jumped up a couple dozen degrees and I was finally able to whip my sand into shape to ram up a mold, I decided to film myself adding moisture and checking things until I had my sand at what I consider to be just about ideal condition. Which doesn't mean it actually is in ideal condition, just that with the amount of experience I have, this is where I felt comfortable stopping adding water.

Interested in your thoughts, did I get it right, too wet, too dry, is it impossible to tell because there is some test I am not doing, or is it impossible to tell through a computer monitor at all? What tell-tale signs do you guys look for when you're tempering your sand? I stopped when my sand passed the squeeze test and the squozen bits of sand broke but did not instantly completely disintegrate when I pulled them apart. There is a fairly wide range of moisture levels where the sand holds together when you squeeze it and does not stick to your hands. How to narrow that down? I'm sure it depends on the shape and size of the pattern and the metal being cast, but I'm just talking about a general rule of thumb here.

If you're willing to give up the take 12 minutes it'll take to watch the video and you think I should have stopped sooner, post the timestamp when you would have quit adding water. On the other hand, I doubt anyone will say I didn't give it enough water, but maybe I'm wrong, I'm interested in all types of feedback and also what tricks you guys use to indicate when your sand is ready.

Jeff

2. OCD

OCD Silver

Sand casters might want to consider investing into a dehumidifier and keep your sand in a water tight environment/box/container.
    Dehumidifiers can be cheaply purchased on line.

Of course, the dehumidifier would only be beneficial with Petrobond or other oil based casting sand.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  3. Tobho Mott

My sand loses most of its moisture within days in the summer inside my bench, which is not airtight but is sealed up reasonably tight IMO..

I can see how a dehumidifier could help if I added too much water and did not have a few days to let it dry out, but I find myself with dried out sand a lot more often than too wet..

Cae2100 aka Chirpy told me he keeps a garden moisture meter like this in his bench (https://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Outdo...en/dp/B002B80FU4#immersive-view_1515626601522) and likes his sand to read about a "4" deep down near the bottom of his heap.

Jeff

4. OCD

OCD Silver

You beat me to it. Lol
    Chirpy sounds like he’s on his game and doing it the correct way.

Without one your just guessing.

5. OCD

OCD Silver

You know Jeff, I heard that if you shovel a spoon full into your mouth and it sticks to the roof of your mouth then it’s too wet. :D

6. Tobho Mott

I'll probably get one of those meters, but I bet the ideal moisture level for my sand will differ from Chirpy's due to different grain size, different clay content, etc.

Good point about the spoonful trick, except whenever I do that it always tastes too dry! :D

Jeff

7. OCD

OCD Silver

8. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I think that 3% bit may be a bit of an over generalization. The thing that is curious is there are several kinds of bentonite and they have different requirements for water and green strength and type of sand can affect required water content also.

There's a lot at Garen's website but I like the write up on sand and binders and there use in different foundry applications. It takes a minute to load but scroll down to sand and binders. It makes mention of something I've seen on a number of occasions regarding the desirability 4:1 of Southern (Calcium) to Western (Sodium) Bentonite. I think he may have transposed the type of Bentonite for Western/Southern. I used wood flour instead of cereal because it seems to have less tendency to grow mold but helps water retention, green strength and surface finish to a degree. Think it is best to approach from the low side on water content, mull, let it set for a day test and add until you get acceptable green strength. I used a couple pound batch to experiment with first.

http://garenphillips.com/casting-pattern-basics/

Best,
    Kelly

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  9. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I have no notion of the correct percentage number, yet. But, another way to check moisture content that requires only a decent kitchen, postage, or even better, lab scale would be to simply weigh out a convenient amount of sand and then stick it in the oven at 300 deg F for an hour or two. Compare the wet weight to the dry weight and calculate the percentage difference. I have used this method to check wood moisture content---by no means a new idea. I prefer this method over a meter as you have no way to know how accurate or repeatable a "meter" might be. And you could verify a meter this way too.

The local aluminum foundry owner has calibrated his hand through 40 yrs of experience casting!

Denis

10. OCD

OCD Silver

I believe the 3% quote is for initial wet out and then brought down to somewhere around 1.4% or just enough to retain a good strength within the bentonite so it binds the other aggregates.

11. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

unless you are going to buy one of these... http://sandtesting.com/product/rapid-moisture-tester/
    which was exactly what we had in the Navy I recommend the fistful test, take a fistful and squeeze it , it should form an interior shape of your hand ball and stay together, then throw it against the wall, most of it should stick , it should not feel wet, only moist, if you squeeze water out it's mud, and if it has too much clay, it will take too much water to make it stick, add sand, and let it dry, also if it is not sufficiently mulled to coat the sand with the clay it will take too much water to make it stick, and also too much moisture, the way to do it is to weigh out ALL THE INGREDIENTS IN ADVANCE. mull the sand and binders sufficiently about 11 minutes, and add the appropriate amount of water , you can get the recipes from the Navy Foundry manual, cereals and clay will need a small addition after each pour, the amounts of make up binders depend on the surface area of the casting compared to the total amount of sand, and the temperature of the alloy poured, light aluminum castings can be used unmodified sand over and over, while heavy cast iron castings will require significant make up binders to compensate for the burnt out binders

V/r HT1

12. That's almost a philosophical question for when gathered around the fire in your yurt:

Conan the foundry worker.jpg

( I have no idea but could not resist the temptation)

Tobho Mott likes this.
  13. PatJ

PatJ Silver

LOL, yes I see.

14. Tobho Mott

Thanks for the answers so far guys. From what's been said, what I'm taking away from this so far is that it is best to go full science on this one rather than rely on experince and feel, by way of the sort of little tricks based on the general feel of the sand in-hand that I was asking about.

That is partially surprising, some of the books on sand casting that I have read do describe how to scientifically test and analyze the sand, but then they go on to mention that the highly experienced guys who actually make the molds and work with the sand every day can just tell if it is 'right' by feel. I guess I figured a bunch of home foundry guys who probably don't have a fully equipped sand analysis lab would be going the touchy-feely route too.

I still want to hear about those little tricks just for the sake of general interest; even if they aren't the best way, I find that kind of stuff fascinating to read about and even try for myself just to see.

I also want to know Conan's answer! :D

Jeff

15. OCD

OCD Silver

16. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

It's what HT1 said. You will develope the tests for your sand based on the success of your castings.
    I use the same one for my petrobond. The squeeze test to see if it sticks to your hand (mud), then the break test to evaluate the tensile strength and clean separation. Then compare that to how well your patterns drew and the quality of the casting as far as surface finish or drops or inclusions or scabs or anything else that could be attributed to moisture. If I go with too much oil in the muller I can add drier petrobond to condition the mix. Green sand could be dealt with the same way, or just aireated.
    This also applies to the lost foam mold. After vibration or tapping to settle the sand, stabbing straight down into the surface and seeing how far your fingers penetrate is an indication of how well the sand has compacted and then will hold its shape during the pour.

17. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I own a run of the mill moisture meter, and doubt I'll ever break it out of the wrapping it came in, even if it's just to entertain myself with a green sand moisture check.

My ingredients were determined by a pro supplier so I'm going to have confidence in their ability to do their job, and base the amount of water I add on the 'hand ball' green strength test.

3% vs 4% or even 5%, I doubt will provide any difference in the quality of the finished product and/or go from a routine pour to a steam explosion.

Honestly... Who here would have a batch of dry-ish green sand in their muller (for example) and solely use a moisture meter to gauge its potential green strength and then would solely rely on that measurement to not only determine if they need to add water, but also do the math on the mass of sand in the muller at that given time, vs its current moisture content, to develop how much more water needs to be added...? I'm willing to wager that probably all of us would run the muller, grab a handful, determine it's too dry, and simply pump a spray bottle a few times into the sand, and run it for few minutes. Mix/repeat until the hand ball test meets our expectation.

Am I wrong...?

Voltar1 likes this.
  18. Tobho Mott

I had figured that is what most here are doing too, until people started replying with much more scientific recommendations. Having bought my sand the same place you got yours, I'm also quite happy with it and trust the amounts of sand and clay etc. in it, and I've been using pretty much the same method you describe, as the video in the OP shows - spray a bit of water, mix it up good, give it a squeeze, lather rinse repeat until it seems "right". I even think I am starting to get halfway OK at gauging the sand's moisture just by feel, and I've been pretty happy with most of my recent castings. Most were cast in aluminum and fairly light, so that is probably why I have been getting away with not having a true working muller so far. I noticed that the sand behaves a little different each time I smooth it out in my bench with the squeegee edge of the little dustpan I have after each spray/mix/squeeze iteration, so I was thinking one of those behaviours might be a good indicator to look for, which got me thinking about what other telltale signs others may be looking out for when they're working on their sand.

I was only even asking just out of general interest to be honest, to see and discuss what kind of nifty old timers' tricks the folks here with more experience than me might have picked up over the years that could possibly be first of all fun to read about, and with a little luck maybe even also be useful for getting a more accurate quick general idea how my/one's sand is doing at any given point in time. I thought there would be more stuff posted along the lines of what HT1 said about making a ball of sand and throwing it at the wall to see how much of it sticks. :D However the details and links that have been posted supporting a more scientific approach are very interesting also.

Jeff

19. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Hey..., I'm all for science. I'm curious how many follow the mathematic approach in practice though.

20. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Resurrecting this thread as I had and experience molding that caused me to want to measure the moisture content of my sand. What happened was I rammed up my straight edge pattern and went to pull the cope and it promptly collapsed. This was a first for me and I was sure it was because I wondered if maybe my sand was a bit on the moist side for my previous mold. So, for this mold I decided to mull a little drier based on the “fist full of sand” squeeze test. Based on how little water added to a 3 or 4 gallon batch of sand it takes to go from too dry to just right, I suspected the actual moisture content difference would not be very great.

So, after the mold failure, I set aside a sample of the too dry sand and remulled 25 gallons of sand to “just right” (as if I truly know what is just right!). And I grabbed a pound of it and set it aside with each sample tightly wrapped in foil to maintain moisture content. When I got home I carefully weighed those samples and then cooked them at 350F for 3 hours and let them cool over night. It turns out the “too dry” sand had a moisture content of 15.5 and the “just right” sand was 17.4%.

The frustrating parts of this moisture content question are that the tolerances for a somewhat “touchy” pattern are pretty seemingly narrow and the squeeze test is very subjective. Perhaps with more experience I will be gain better reliability in determining the right mix. But right now it is a bit disturbing to realize how tough it seems to be get the mix right.

I’d be curious to hear what moisture contents others consider correct if anyone else feels like cooking a little of their green sand.

I did include a pic of the casting I am dealing with to provide an idea of the proportions of the pattern involved.

Attached Files: