Greetings from Utah

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by tt365, May 14, 2021.

1. tt365

tt365 Lead

I'm completely new to casting and melting, don't even have a furnace built yet. I am collecting parts, and will post in the main forum for a sanity check when I'm approved for it.

I've been working for a few years learning machining and have a lathe, mill, mig and oxy/acetylene. I'm interesting in taking my skills to the next level and learning basic casting. Probably sand, but knowing myself, I'll end up trying most methods. Ways I can use 3D printed patterns are particularly interesting. I did a simple counterweight with lead in an Altoids tin with a handheld torch and thought it was a very interesting process. Obviously far simpler than real casting. :)

Right now, I'll probably stick to aluminum, but I'd like to do copper and brass once I feel more comfortable with the process. I don't see myself going any hotter than that.

If there are any members in the Salt Lake area that know of scrapyards that sell to the public, please let me know. I like the idea of "recycling" what would otherwise be junk.

2. Rob Hall

Rob Hall Copper

3. Welcome! Lead in an Altoid tin is real casting.