Looking forward - the next steps and the equipment I need

Discussion in 'Investment casting Block method' started by Bill W, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Bill W

Bill W Copper

I've spent time reading through the threads on the forum but I still am not sure which direction I should go..

buying equipment...safety stuff first, kiln for removing wax and for heating the mold, a set of crucibles and tools to hold and pour, forge to melt metal...I know I'm missed some important stuff

I made several good wax parts. next up is the investment process and then casting the parts.

My part is small, 2 1/2 inches by 1/5 inches but it's hollow and has steps inside and threads on the outside so it has some complexity.

I've watched youtube videos where a simple mold is made from a plastic cup. The part is attached to the bottom and investment is poured in. The wax is melted out and a small crucible is used to pour metal into the opening on top of the investment mold. Seems real simple and basic.

I've also seen some of the projects where an elaborate sprue system is built (sometimes to make more than one part at a time) that requires a much larger casting and larger amount of metal to be poured. I understand the need to have some head pressure to get the metal to flow and the need to give the air a place to go. This process seems to be the right way to go in the long run but will require more equipment and a bigger furnace.

Can I get away with the simple process for making this part?

Attached Files:

2. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

You should be fine with a simple sprue attached. You're still going to have to follow the threads and clean up the metal after casting. What are you planning on casting with?

3. Bill W

Bill W Copper

It seems like parts always need some clean up after casting. I have a thread chaser to clean up that area. I haven't made a decision on what to cast yet. I have some zamak (might be zamak2) and the silicone bronze. The part was made using pot metal from the manufacturer. It will be sent out for chrome plating so that's a factor too. At this time, I'm still in the proof of concept phase so I'm trying to make a few test parts on the cheap. If those turn out good, I'll spring for better equipment. What do you advise?

4. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

Nothing wrong with zamak. I would advise refining the process with that and if all goes well move to bronze if you want. For a car part I wouldn't even consider bronze tbh

5. crazyjoe86

crazyjoe86 Lead

If you use zamak you can skip the wax and pour potmetal directly into a urethane mold...

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Unlikely the mold can withstand the temperature of the metal...

7. crazyjoe86

crazyjoe86 Lead

Zamak temp might be pushing it...but works for pewter and some variants...

8. Bill W

Bill W Copper

The support staff at Smooth On said the higher temp need to melt the zamak would probably burn the mold, meaning I wouldn't get many parts from it. I have several old molds I can use to test the zamak product. If the mold burns, it's no big deal. That's probably what I'll do sometime this week.

crazyjoe86 likes this.