Tilting Type Furnace

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Sargon, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Sargon

Sargon Lead

dear all

ill find a used cement mixer in the junkyard

do you think its good idea to convert it in to Tilting Furnace

what about the crucible shape ?

Attached Files:

2. To mimic what you show you need a crucible with a spout, the crucible being fixed in the firebox.

What is your goal for a tilting furnace?

I plan on making one but a reverbertory for melting scrap.

3. Sargon

Sargon Lead

am working in decoration items

my idea is to melt 100 kg of bronze .. and pour it in many ceramic shells in 1 time

so ,, i just need to run the Furnace 1 time to cast alot of models ... a production line

4. rocco

rocco Silver

One of our member, master53yoda, has a large tilting reverb furnace designed for melting large amount of scrap. I have a small tilting reverb (capacity~15lb of Al). One thing to think about with tilting furnaces, is the position of the tilting axis, ideally, it should be in line with the pouring spout, so that the spout remains as stationary as possible when you tilt the furnace. This makes a safe accurate pour much easier than it would be with either the cement mixer or the furnace shown above where the spout moves through a large arch when the furnace is tilted. A small furnace like mine is easy to tilt manually, a large capacity tilting furnace requires mechanical assistance like this commercial unit. Tilting-Furnace.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Al2O3 likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

Walk, then run!

theroundbug and Jimmymmm like this.
  6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I came across this
    https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=27306
    kinda neat.
    For 100# it would have to be quite large and heavy, probably upwards of 7-800 lbs and the crucible would be pricey. I wouldnt consider making a crucible. It would be a cool project and although the cement mixer looks like a good design candidate I’d probably build one from a 24” heavy walled cylinder.

Pete

7. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

8. rocco

rocco Silver

If the plan is to make multiple smaller casting from one large melt, a bale out furnace might also be a viable option.

9. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

10. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

Have you cast smaller quantities of your model yet?

11. Sargon

Sargon Lead

i can surprise you

here is my old works and designs

12. Sargon

Sargon Lead

13. Jason

Jason Gold