Making a Durable Aluminum Pattern For Casting Plaques

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by Tobho Mott, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Not a huge fan either... But you get used to it.

Anyhow, just a quick pic of the finished plaque to show the silver paint touch-ups and glossy sealer coat:

20180210_080857-800x600.jpg

Jeff

Jim Edgeworth and Red97 like this.
  2. OCD

OCD Silver

And why did you paint the embossments?

Was there some filling pores involved and you wanted to hide the filer material?

Yeah I'm going somewhere with this but await your answer first so I do stick my foot in my mouth.

3. Oxide

Oxide Lead

Just a quick one, what grade sand paper did you use to get the shine on your numbers?

4. Tobho Mott

The silver paint is just to cover up some black paint I was having trouble removing from some tiny pits along the very edges of some of the raised sections. Here's a close up of the left side of the 6 where the worst of it was.

20180210_101138-800x600.jpg

I think it looks fine now when you're not looking at it right up close like that, now that the black paint isn't showing in there anymore to draw the eye and break up the smooth edge. No fillers were used.

But please, do tell - I'm definitely here to learn and very interested to hear about it if you (OCD) or anyone else would have approached this differently.

Oxide - I used some 100 grit then when I was taking the black paint off the numbers and border I think I was using some small scraps of 220, I didn't see any reason to go beyond that. A couple coats of spray on glossy sealer helped shine it up a bit more too.

Jeff

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  5. OCD

OCD Silver

First off, any time you plan on painting aluminummmmmm, it needs to have a base coat of zinc chromate or phosphate applied.
    If you go and look up the application parameters for the phosphate it's going to tell ya it's only for steel. Wrong, it works on aluminum as well.

Once it's applied and the correct amount of flash time has elapsed you can apply your top coat.

In reference to the embossed areas.
    If finances are an issue the caster can take a bar of soap and coat the areas they wish not to end up painted one finished.
    The soap will not only provide a barrier but fill all those pits in and keep the paint out.
    After it's painted and sanded you can easily scrub the remaining soup out of the pits.

In reality, you could also apply some crystal clear resin to the embossments as well prior to painting since the embossments are gonna end up getting sanded anyways.
    You would have to apply multiple coats though to build up the bottom of the pits to become level with the original highest surface point.

The is latex rubber masking on the market that can be applied to areas one wants to protect from becoming painted as well.

Years ago I ran a paint department for a LARGE sign manufacturing corporation and used a product called Spraylat.
    It's a latex base masking used on all kinds of signage and illuminated acrylic faces and the like.

There's other product out there called Sign Stripe which does the same thing.

Here's one ink just to show you what it is.

https://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Spray_Mask_by_Spraylat&cat=331

Shop around for pricing.

You brush or spray it on, let it cure, (usually over night or 8 hours depending on mil thickness) cut around the outlines or area to be kept masked off with an exacta knife, peel away excessive masking or areas to be painted.
    Once product is painted, peel of remaining masking.

Or you could stop pouring aluminum Kelly sent you. ;) :D No more holes.

Just ribbing ya Kelly.

Seriously, go by a darn replacement belt for your sander.

A regular ole electric orbital hand sander would resurface those embossments down with the correct sandpaper.
    Would take awhile but it can be done.

Went prepping aluminum surfaces after a casting, 150, 220, 320, 400, 600 and polish out with some mag polishing cream.

There's all kinds of clear metal protector sealants out there to seal your metal projects with.
    Just make sure the top sealant coat has the same solvent content as the base coat. (E.g., water based, solvent based, etc.)

If you spray a solvent based sealer over a latex based paint it'll gator it and cause crinkles/wrinkles.
    You can spray or apply oil over water but can't apply water over oil.

There so many different ways and products you can utilize to apply to you projects to result in a quality finish.

Fasted58, Tobho Mott and Oxide like this.
  6. Tobho Mott

Thanks OCD, that is a lot of info and mostly all new to me. Hopefully the couple tiny spots of silver craft acrylic paint under the clear gloss polyurethane won't cause too much trouble...

Jeff

7. Tobho Mott

Finally installed at sis' place in Toronto:

IMG_20181028_1522294-320x240.jpg

:D

Jeff

dennis, Jimmy Cogg and Rtsquirrel like this.
  8. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Really great job that!

9. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That looks first class.

10. Tobho Mott

Harder to see the little imperfctions from a distance... She seems happy enough with it (never was the type who'd put it on her house just to spare my feelings), so I'm gonna say it's good enough.

:D

Jeff

11. dennis

dennis Silver

Nice Green Color! (Makes me want Green Transtint dye...) Good casting!

12. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Nice thread Jeff! I am working on something similar now but am going to add a bell for delivery people. Tired of finding my packages hidden in random locations. I drove around with a trampoline in the back of my truck for a day or two because I didnt know it was there. LOL

13. Tobho Mott

Thanks guys, I actually cast another plaque for the door of my foundry shed a while ago using the same background, but I reused the original wooden pattern to make a new aluminum blank to glue the plastic dragons and letters onto (pix in my foundry shed thread IIRC), because I am not so happy with how I have the runner and gating that are cast in place on the old green pattern. Also, just for fun and to play with my new petrobond. I didn't bother painting the new aluminum pattern though.

Lol, delivery guys sometimes leave packages in my backyard where I would never think to check for the mail, it's pretty weird but usually my wife gets an email or something to let her know that (whatever she ordered) has arrived so that we at least know to go check.

Jeff

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    dennis likes this.
  14. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

You can make changes to the gating on the cast pattern pretty easy. I saw the streaks on the first casting and figured that was where you had packed the sand harder and left some vents out. What other defects are you having issues with?

15. Tobho Mott

Thanks, I always wondered what caused those streaks and how they could be avoided... Mostly I changed the gating because I have been sampling Campbell & Puhakka's bifilm theory koolaid, which in my mind made the original runner seem massively oversized and the splash well seem unnecessary. I also wanted to use a smaller crucible and not worry about running out of metal. IIRC it was pointed out earlier in this thread that the splash well end of the runner wasn't even set up right to begin with anyhow.

Pictures of the recent pattern and casting are here:

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/shed-conversion-for-casting.897/page-4#post-32548

There is that streaking again, though there seems to be maybe a bit less of it visible on the new pattern than on the new casting. I was pretty happy with how it came out, streaks or not. It came out better than my sister's house number anyhow. If you see anything else wrong with it that you know how to avoid in the future, I'm all ears! A coat of paint hides those streaks really well, but I still know they're there!

Jeff

16. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I will give you a couple of options to try and give broad advice. You can see some of those for yourself if they are consistent in all your thinner castings. High moisture in sand...low permeability of the sand...low pouring temps...volatile combustible in sand. I'm sure some are eluding me but I'm playing Peppa Pig with the boss so please forgive me if I add later..on just this pattern scenarios...pour faster...pour hotter...add more vents...dont worry so much about trapping oxides and try to make everything more of a smooth transition as I promise you sand wash is way more of a source of inclusions than oxides if you do a good job of cleaning your metal and try to pour without any interruptions. Reducing your runner will increase your velocity and make it pour faster and help get the streak out but will increase the risk of washing sand so make sure your mold is clean and hard around ingate area. Getting yelled at gotta bail.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  17. Tobho Mott

Wow, thanks for the tips Billy! I'm healing from a surgery I had on Monday so it's going to be a few days before I can probably do any molding to try out your suggestions, but I've been spending some of this downtime working on a new smaller plaque background pattern for when I can...

20210205_051703.jpg

Jeff

18. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

That's an interesting observation. I understood that was from wandering metal fronts stopping and restarting, etc. I'm pretty sure that's what it has been in at least some instances because the "streak" frequently goes through the whole cross section of the casting to the other side, but maybe I've been misunderstanding the issue. Maybe we could explore this a little more?

Tobho Mott likes this.