Bentonite chips to green sand

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by CastawayJunk, Jan 8, 2023.

1. CastawayJunk

CastawayJunk Copper

So I have#50 of medium bentonite chips left over from when my secret well got capped. I was hoping to make some greensand from this but needed a little advice. I've seen people grind down small bentonite into dust to mix with sand and water, but these chips are huge. While I could still do that, I was thinking maybe I could dissolve the chips in an excess of water, then mix that with the sand and give it a few weeks to dry down to a reasonable level then re blend the whole concoction like normal. Would that work? I know the idea is to coat the sand evenly with clay but I don't know if that is just going to be so much water that it's totally unmixable. I figured I'd try to do a #1 blend as a test and then mix up maybe #20 for a small sample test. Was gonna to start 12% bentonite and work from there.
    Opinions? Facts I missed? Is this totally doomed and I need to just grind it? Having played with stuff tangentially related to this in the past I don't really expect it to work, but I've yet to find a definitive answer so I figure I should try

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I think it ought to work. This guy did something similar:

Good luck!

Jeff

3. CastawayJunk

CastawayJunk Copper

Wow thanks Jeff, how did you find that so fast? I've been looking off and on for a bit now and hasn't seen such a thing.
    Well that looks promising, I was thinking I'd need to make it a lot wetter than that to avoid clumping but that looks like it worked out fine

4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'm surprised you didn't find it, stompy tarp dance guy's video is a classic! :D