Hello from northern Minnesota

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Michael Nepsund, Mar 30, 2023.

1. I am a model builder, mostly scale models of antique engines.

I am new to foundry projects. Made a few successful sand castings. Mostly aluminum & some brass. Now I want to experiment with lost wax. I have 3d printed my patterns with PolyCast filament. Sanded & polished the patterns now I'm working on the casting plaster, I purchased some Prestige Optima casting slurry mix. Not really sure what I'm doing???

Tops likes this.
  2. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Welcome to the forum Michael. Southeastern MN here.

Michael Nepsund likes this.
  3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Ransome and Randolph plasti cast would be a better investment material to use...

4. I wish I knew about this forum before I bought the casting material. Should I not waste my time with the Optima cast?

5. DavidF

You can try it, but the plastic cast is made for casting plastic parts in and I've had very good luck with it...
    How do you plan to handle the burn out ??

6. Not sure about the burn out. I thought I could possibly use my gas fired foundry, but not sure about the temp.

7. DavidF

That is where you'll run into problems.
    Burn out needs to be pretty controlled for time and temperature for the size of the flask.
    You might want to search around for a used kiln and fit it with pid controller...

8. Would this work? I could use it to melt my brass & heat treat tool steel.

Attached Files:

9. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

I never knew there was anything called a 'muffle oven'...and now I want one...:)

10. DavidF

Not sure.. I would look for a used pottery kiln, much cheaper...

Melterskelter likes this.