Making Core boxes

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by HT1, Oct 19, 2023.

1. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I was DMing Dave Clark the Pattern Guy (YouTube Famous) talking about making the Core Box for crotal Bells. he gave me an Idea that just blew My traditional pattern making mind.

Dave Clark Quoted "I would make a male core stick and pour a plastic core box. You can get Plastic from Freeman Supply. I use Repro 83."

this Idea still has me just flabbergasted in the simplicity, make a male core (model) and pour a box , you could use PoP for most pieces. this is so Game changing, things that I pretty much considered impossible because of my tool limitations has now become possible.

Hope this helps someone else out

V/r HT1

Tobho Mott, Tops and Sawyer massey like this.
  2. rocco

rocco Silver

That's exactly what I did for the core box used in my video. I have no clue where I got the idea but it worked great. For small runs, PoP is perfect, if something more durable is required, a castable plastic like Dave Clark recommends would probably be a better idea.

Tops likes this.
  3. rocco

rocco Silver

Dusted off one my old computers and found some pictures.

Here's my half model of the core in a molding box ready for the PoP. The model is made out of laminated plywood and coated with a high build automotive primer. This core was symmetrical so I needed only the one half model to cast both halves of the core box.
    core_box_1.jpg

Here's the finished PoP core box.

core_box_5.jpg

The first attempt at a core using this core box was a failure but it was also my first attempt at using sodium silicate binder, after tweaking my sand/silicate mix and gassing techniques, subsequent cores were successful, here's a successful pull.

core_2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
  4. Chazza

Chazza Silver

What is PoP?

5. rocco

rocco Silver

Plaster of Paris.