Want to

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Bouteloua, Jan 15, 2024.

1. Bouteloua

Bouteloua Copper

I have been reading about creating a smallish bronze foundry for quite a while and really don't think I know enough to do it competently. (See that Dunning-Kruger business). I have been creating bronze sculptures, less than 35 lbs., for several years and had access to the local university foundry. Things changed and I no longer have access to that foundry. I do have access to an unused spacious, covered metal shed that is outside of a coop artists' studio. I envision a melting furnace, a burnout kiln, a smallish sandpit. Propane. Maybe some sort of lifting device.

I would like to find someone who has done this before and corrected their own mistakes and would feel confident of creating something that would function. Of course, I would pay for this work. How do I find someone who can do this?

(This is in Arkansas, BTW).

2. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

It's not impossible, you have a great start with having a place to put it. 35 pounds is larger than I would try starting out. I would like to do large castings over 20 lbs but I would have to have some help. There are a number of furnace plans and all the extras that are needed.

3. Bouteloua

Bouteloua Copper

I am looking for someone to do a turn key job. I am not confident in my ability.

4. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

For everyones info , What did you work with in the University? this may set your expectations
    what are you expecting? Just a furnace?
    What is your budget?

V/r HT1

5. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

I have run in the Dunning and Kruger circles for a long time. Hasn't stopped me from doing something I really wanted to do. The "professionals" are quick to tell you that you can't unless you take their class or get a degree. You have already been doing it, you know the hazards and you know what you need. I have found that I can make just about anything. I just discovered it too late. Age has overtaken me. Sorry I can't come to Arkansas, sounds like fun, but I can't even finish projects (Honey-Do) around the house. Be very careful who you make a deal with, they may build a bunch of junk and take your money and run.

HT1 likes this.
  6. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Several people on the forum has come across people, schools, companies getting rid of foundry equipment, for pennies on the dollar or free for the taking/hauling.
    The new stuff is quite expensive. Building things yourself offers some economy but there is a time and learning outlay that is not always considered.
    Maybe some good used equipment, enlist in old University contacts to help setup the space and have the propane system/ furnace function checked by a professional.
    For myself, I bought a small Amazon furnace to get my foot in the door and get melting. I then started an A10 crucible sized furnace build. Between the two I got stars in my eyes thinking I needed an A20. You may need A12 or A16 crucible size to yield 35# and a sprue.

7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Or buy used. This is actually a decent price for furnace, blower, regulator, and two sets of tongs/shanks, and crucible.

(2) Marketplace - Foundry Speedymelt. | Facebook

Best,
    Kelly

Tops likes this.