New man cave!!!!

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Jan 26, 2018.

1. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

As long as Ewe only get Girls!!! Rams will take your legs out every time your turn your back (ask me how I know :) )
    Keep your feet away from spinning blades! Very simple, don't count on the metal guard to do it for you.

CBB

Jason likes this.
  2. Rotary mowers are pretty safe, but it's not a spectator sport, and there is never any reason to get off the tractor with the mower running. You really should let it stop spinning before dismounting.

3. _Jason

_Jason Silver

The one thing every Ag instructor I've ever had beat into my brain is was "when working with a tractor, do not get off the tractor with the PTO still running. Ever." You're begging for a debilitating injury or painful death otherwise.

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Working on some demo work, taking it to the studs.... found out its mortise and tenon.
    My arms feel like jello now.
    20180514_132419.jpg 20180516_121819.jpg

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  5. crazybillybob

I don't envy you Lath and plaster sucks to remove! While you have the walls open.... Might want to toss in a little insulation in there ;) With joints like that you know the load bearing bones are good on this old girl!

CBB

6. DavidF

Yea, that was one of the big reasons for taking it down to the studs, they didn't have insulation back in the day.....

7. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Wow, that is getting serious.
    I renovated my daughters house last year, but it had sheet rock that could be repaired.

I had to cut the sheetrock at the receptacles to get the new wiring in from below, so that created a lot of patching work.
    I was able to fish the wiring from the top for the light switches (I rewired the entire house).
    If you did not live so far away, I would come over and wire it for you.
    I have an angle drill, very long drill bits, etc.
    A conventional foundation (with a generous crawl space) makes it easy to rewire a house.

I put down floor tile in the kitchen and bathrooms, and what a pain it was to get the old tile up and out of the house, and get the floors all relatively level and flat.
    And I refinished the hardwood floors and put in a new kitchen, and did the granite work too (think diamond saws).

It was a royal pain in the rear, but my wife and I were able to do it.
    It took 7 months of working 7 days a week, 10-12 hrs a day.

Good luck.
    Keep plenty of Advil on hand.
    These bodies don't take the punishment like they did when we were 18.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Ever notice there is a certain "feel" when you are in a plaster/lath home? They just seem quieter, more stout and built to last forever?
    I'll still take drywall ANY DAY, Important when you have a wife that says, this light switch is too high.

9. crazybillybob

In a lathe and plaster home you have more mass in the walls, and the random angles of the lathe all help to dissipate the sound waves. So they are in fact quieter it's not a feeling ;) If you want your bedroom dang near sound proof. Leave the lathe and plaster up come in to the wall from the back side and fill the wall with Rock Wool insulation (by the way it's rated to 2000 F). Do all 4 walls like that and it will be as quiet as a tomb! The kids will never hear you scream! (assuming you put a good stout door in :) )

CBB

Yes, I also do consultations on the proper way to dig a "Holding" pit in your basement ;) :p:rolleyes:

10. Jason

Jason Gold

It's not ME doing the screaming in my house... ahem..

11. DavidF

Obviously, you never tested the bp you mailed me......:eek::rolleyes:

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

See I told it was new and untested! I had a wax explosion on the bench one day.:eek:

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  13. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I've pulled and replaced a few 100-150 year old town house ceilings that were lath and came out looking like a miner with the oily soot from coal fire dust. I'm sure it took 20 years off my lungs even with a mask.

14. DavidF

Found a map of my area from 1877 and it shows my house then. Pretty neat :)
    Starting to put it back together now... 20180524_120945.jpg

_Jason and oldironfarmer like this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

Nice work! Looks like you are saving the hardwood floors. Good on you!

16. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

I ought to do this to add insulation to my house - built 1903, lath and plaster. We always just kept it as is because we like the original woodwork and don't really know how to do it right, but the latter can be remedied via YouTube university... I shudder to think how much I have paid to keep the wainscotting and base boards warm over the past 15 winters! Or maybe that's just me shivering...

Place seems to be coming to along great, Dave. Keep us posted!

Jeff

Rtsquirrel and Jason like this.
  17. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I've used a lot of celotex over the years, eurothane board with a foil coating on both sides, I'm guessing you have something similar over there in a different brand. Highly effective but not cheap. The foil does seem to have a pronounced effect on it's efficiency and the thickness allows for a clean air flow behind it stopping condensate on the brick/siding outer wall.

18. He could just stack all the leftover bits of XPS styrofoam from lost foam casting experiments in the gaps. :rolleyes:

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  19. Jason

Jason Gold

I can send him tons of crushed ceramic shell. That stuff has to have SOME purpose.

20. DavidF

The have something like that on the outside of the house up against the dutch lap siding, then Styrofoam then the siding. The Styrofoam is molded to the shape of the siding. Think this is how they were insulating it without getting into the walls....
    Strawberry plants are in and some corn.. Think that's all Ill get in this year...