Another transfer

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Rpker, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Rpker

Rpker Copper

reporting in from alloy avenue...same handle over there. I don't post much but I lurk a lot and I am slowly building up the courage to try my first furnace build. (Yeah, I've been saying that for years) every time I think I can start one of the three big problems gets in my way. I see something new that I think I need to learn first, my bank account takes a hit and there is no money fer supplies, or (most often) The US Navy sends me off to some far flung corner of the world to practice my craft. So that's lack of knowledge, lack of money and lack of time all ganging up on me....

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome to the forum!
    We all ho through it at different times, right now my free time is non existant..

3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Welcome, this is a great place to post, with a lot of talented folks here.
    I have been mired in work projects most of this year (the economy is definitely up), but hope to get caught up in a few weeks, and try some serious iron casting.

Post photos if you have them. As they say, a photo is worth a thousand words.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome aboard. You'll like it here. The website is modern and your photos are safe here.

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome aboard. Sometimes you've got to go Nike....just do it.

Best,
    Kelly

6. Rpker

Rpker Copper

Here among the pieces of a half dozen other projects, in various states of completion, is the beginnings of my kwiky burner. Funny story...building this little burner resulted in a whole other project. I had to build a drill press stand for the new drill press I bought to get the center hole drilled in the pipe plug at the end...

Yeah, I coulda figured it out without the drillpress but I figured I’ve wanted one for a while anyhow and it would help for lots more than my little foundry project....at least that’s how I justified it to the missus

Attached Files:

7. Jason

Jason Gold

They call that shipwrights disease. Goes something like this:

Sailor owns boat.
    Boat has burned out light in galley.
    Sailor decides to change bulb.
    Sailor notices socket is corroded, decides to change socket.
    Sailor notices wiring frayed while trying to change socket.
    Sailor decides to change wiring.
    Sailor notices galley ceiling slats are rotted while changing the wire.
    Sailor decides galley ceiling slats need changing.
    Sailor notices ...

this goes on and on and on and on and pretty soon, Sailor is undertaking a
    major renovation of his boat because of a burned out lightbulb.

Are ya going to get the kwicky running? I love mine.... (well I do now. I hated it at first) I run on about 15-20psi and my compressor runs about once every 5mins. The kwicky actually uses very little cfms. I'll never know why people turn their noses up at using compressed air to suck fuel.

8. Rpker

Rpker Copper

Now that is a piece of information I was wondering the answer too....

I have a smaller compressor and I was needing to know how many CFM I was looking at supplying for the burner and if I needed to upgrade. Thank you sir.
    I have a mix of waste veg an motor oil saved up that I need to filter and find a decent tank set up for and also a tube for that burner. I have a piece of black iron pipe but it is only 1 1/4" and the burner is not centered if I use that. I need to find a supplier that has 1 1/2" and a flare for it.

Jason likes this.
  9. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Just an FYI If you tell where you are located, we can Help More... and Maybe Suck up some of your Local...I really need someone in Long Beach for a trip to IFSCO

V/r HT1

10. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

He is in Maryland I think???

11. Jason

Jason Gold

I don't have actual consumption numbers for the kwicky, but I can tell you I have a 60gallon compressor and it's around 15 CFMs... It runs for about 30 seconds once every 5mins or so. It probably all comes down to the size of the hole in the mig tip you soldiered onto that pipe. After you get your's running on your current compressor, let me know please what kind of cycle times you are seeing.
    You can even test it with water. I calibrated mine to a little under a gallon an hour pissing water, but it's been a few years now.

12. Rpker

Rpker Copper

Just out of curiosity HT1....where ya been stationed?

13. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Uss Priaire AD15 in long beach CA
    SUBASE Pearl HArbor
    USS O'Bannon DD987 Mayport FL
    SUBASE Kings Bay GA
    NPDB4 Camp Buccca Iraq
    USS John L Hall FFG 32 Mayport FL