Good book for wax work

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Rtsquirrel, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

1533477150101453765321.jpg I've had this book for a while, read various sections of it.
    It's geared more towards the jeweler, but artisans in our line can glean knowledge from it as well.
    It may be hard to find, but is usually inexpensive.
    PRACTICAL CASTING
    A STUDIO REFERENCE
    By: Tim McCreight 20180804_171451.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Jason likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

3. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

That's a better price than I paid.
    I considered the scan to PDF thing. Seems like they are still available.

4. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

I have a copy of this book but oddly it's brown. My revision is 1994. What is yours?

5. Jason

Jason Gold

You know I bought this book through amazon from some jackass company called airbooks or something. Get this, I get the weirdest APOLOGY letter from the seller saying my book was shipped but was going to take 3 months for me to get it. It went on then offering my money back and told me it's divine to forgive. WTF? Really weird. It came with free shipping so my money says the cheap asses are sending it book rate and lied about actually sending it... I don't care if it takes 3 months. I just want my friggen book. Does this make me divine? The broken english letter also throws up a flag. :rolleyes:

6. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

I smell a ratfink. I didnt know they existed outside of the continental U.S. Must have got a lift on a shipment of scrap metal. I hope you get the $ back, & notify A-zon.
    I looked & there are more sellers.
    I'm getting another book by the same author, The Complete Metalsmith. There are several versions, hard & soft cover, bound & spiral.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm going to let it ride. Should be fun to see how this goofiness plays out. I figure I've got nothing but time.

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  8. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

Side note:
    I went to NYC with the wife & son for a 5 day trip. Sight seeing & catching up with friends. Headed to E. 47th today, visited ZAK Tools & bought some sprue wax, carving wax & other stuff. No shipping charges. (I was coming here anyway, so I'm not going to count the train ticket.)
    I need to make some of those forms for pouring my own, maybe an extruder too.

Jason likes this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

That box I make my main sprues was some welded up steel. I suspended a wooden pattern in it and filled it with plaster of paris. The rod is 1/2" steel lubed up with booty butter. If ya make one, add a couple degrees of draft on the pattern. Helps the wax pop out later. That thing has been brilliant. I use it every time. It makes sprues that are 3/4" x 3/4" inch and hollow inside. Wait for Zap to finish his wax pooper. I'm waiting to see how it goes before I build one.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Rtsquirrel likes this.
  10. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

Thanks for the tips. I've watched most of your videos, gleaning off of them.

Jason likes this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

Awesome.. Now make something cool! Work has got me swamped now and my wife has me slaving on the house. I'd like to sneak out to the garage at night for some relaxing wax work if I wasn't so dog tired. :(

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Ah crap. Amazon refunded my money. But the seller said if I do receive a book from them, I should contact them for payment. Yeah like that's going to happen.:rolleyes: I'll buy it again now and if it shows up, I'll find one of you to give to. Why do people have issues with such trivial stuff?

Rtsquirrel likes this.