Just Joined.

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by chubbus, Sep 6, 2018.

1. chubbus

chubbus Lead

Hi all.
    Been thinking of making a furnace for years and trying to die jest enough info to do it. I am going the route of a old gas bottle , (Dont say it ) ;). I just need to go through a lot of threads to get info to carry on. Can any one point me in the direction of a good starting point ?
    Thanks Chubbs.

2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

If you want to get your feet wet and try some aluminum casting, you can build a temporary furnace from hard fire bricks (available at tractor supply and some hardware stores).

I made a temporary furnace, and as I talk to others, some of them did the same, using bricks stacked in a circle.

rIMG_0112.jpg

I made another hard brick furnace to use for small aluminum melts, and it works well, and I still use it to this day.
    I use a kiln shelf for a lid.

rImg_4640.jpg

rIMG_5498.jpg

I have used an old gas bottle as a fuel container, and I completely filled it with water before I drilled into it.

The hard fire brick route is quick and easy.
    Some use bricks inside of a metal shell.

I would recommend trying a melt with a brick furnace first, get a feel for crucible and pour sizes, and then figure out a furnace size.
    No sense in building a furnace only to find out that the crucible size you want/need to use will not fit into the furnace.

Crucibles generally will hold the same amount of aluminum as their size, ie: a #10 crucible will hold approximately 10 lbs of aluminum.

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome to the forum chubbs.
    I would start first by deciding exactly how much metal you need to melt then get your crucible dimensions so you can figure out how large of a furnace you will need....

4. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Chubbus. There's a thread here on different types of furnaces.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/the-furnace-thread.276/

If you've already decided on the details as far as size and style and want to make a traditional lift out crucible furnace, you might try searching "Myfordboy Furnace" on YouTube. He has 4 or 5 videos of 10-15 minutes each that take you through the steps of a typical build. It's also a good channel to pick up some home casting tips.

Best,
    Kelly

5. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Welcome!

The suggestion to build around the size of crucible you will need is a sound one. Better to find out before it's too late if your BBQ tank is a little too small or something.

Once that's done, l would suggest choosing a heat source - charcoal, coal, propane, waste oil, electric, etc. - before deciding on what kind of lining to install in your furnace. Plenty of knowledgeable folks here ready to offer all the advice and suggestions you'll need.

Jeff.

6. chubbus

chubbus Lead

Thanks for the replies chaps, still reading and taking it all in.

Chubbs.

7. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

Welcome Chubbs.
    You're in good company here.
    Lot's of knowledge & experience.