1956 buick build

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by DavidF, Jul 15, 2020.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Spent the day mostly going in circles. Managed to get the inner roof frame welded back together, nothing fancy as it is all hidden.
    Then I turned my attention to the drip rail......
    This thing is going to be the death of me :mad:
    The one I cut off the car is missing the flange that attaches to the roof frame and has the roof section spot welded to it every half inch. I started to do some trimming to it with plans on reattaching the flange part and splitting all the spot welds but "damn" o_O
    So then I got the idea of using the bead roller in conjunction with the sheet metal break to fabricate a new drip rail all together. This had led me into another "well damn":confused:
    Using the hemming die set lead to making a real warped and wavy thing that would no way work. So I opted to bend the first 120 degrees then use the closing dies on the bead roller.
    This worked well but another problem popped up as the metal break has an issue where it does not keep the same bend radius its whole length.
    This causes an error on the edge width of the drip rail when it is hemmed together. This error could usually be adjusted out, but I can't get the one side to adjust in all the way as there is and old braze repair that is limiting its adjustment travel. So oh great! :rolleyes: another project to get into...
    Well thats my day...how was yours?
    20210109_141514.jpg 20210109_133816.jpg 20210109_154928.jpg
    20210109_154928.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

A lot of restomods remove the drip rails......just depends on the look you're going for.

Best,
    K

3. DavidF

I'll keep them. I like stock bodies and interiors but with modern powertrains.
    Never know, might winde up with wire wheels and wide whites before all is done.

4. DavidF

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Can you take some photos of the tools and how you are bending the metal so precisely?

DavidF likes this.
  6. DavidF

Pretty simple really, I measure then lay out scribe lines so I know where to position the metal in the bender. This is my old compass that I use for the lay out lines...
    20210123_113603.jpg

Was pretty busy the last couple days working on fixing the roof and drip rail. Wound up doing it differently than planned because I just couldn't roll the edge of the drip rail edge exactly like what's on the car. So I wound up attaching a flanged piece in position and will tim it back then attach the original edge of the drip rail to it after finishing off the roof.
    20210123_134250.jpg

The front section is a pain getting it curved just right. I spent hours on getting it ac close as I can.
    Came out really well for having to hammer it out by hand. Have to finish welding it up another day. Had to split and stack some firewood for the next couple days.
    20210123_152932.jpg 20210123_155701.jpg

Clay and Tobho Mott like this.
  7. DavidF

Well I finally got tired of photobucket sending me notifications about being over the limit, and am working on downloading alot of them.
    Ran into a couple of cars I had painted and figured I'd slap them in this thread.
    utf-8BSU1BRzAwMDMuanBn.jpg utf-8BSU1BRzAxMzUuanBn-1.jpg

8. DavidF

At the shows with my dad..
    utf-8BSU1BRzA0OTEuanBn.jpg

Petee716 and Clay like this.
  9. DavidF

Weather has finally turned so I could spray some epoxy, then hit it with some high build primer.
    (Evercoat 4:1)
    So the worst is over, now things should start progressing more quickly...
    20210327_153143.jpg

Clay likes this.
  10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

How do you paint them? What kind of setup do you have to get such good results?

11. DavidF

I've been doing it since I was 15 years old. ;)
    Automotive refinishing is a process that requires alot of different skills learned over time.
    20170307_181342.jpg 20170307_181351.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Holy... that puts my spray paint finish to shame haha.

What spray gun do you use? What kind of paint?

13. DavidF

I use the harbor freight cheap ass guns for primer, and a sata for the base clear. I bike I used an airbrush and templates cut from frisk paper for the flames. Just shadow the edge of the templates with the airbrush.
    Paint was house of colors candy apple red over red and grey base colors. The bike is featured in Iron works magazine around ??? Shit I forget when. But I have the magazine around here somewhere...

14. DavidF

@Zapins ,
    Here's the "special" tools. After the high build primer goes on a tracer coat is misted on so while you are block sanding things out you can visually see low and high areas like this small dent and a low spot at a body seam.
    No magic here, just time patience and alot of beer helps.
    20210328_125612.jpg 20210328_125621.jpg 20210328_130752.jpg

Melterskelter likes this.
  15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Interesting. Makes sense. Color to help figure out which area is up or down.

I wouldn't mind giving that a try one day. The automotive paint seems to be a lot more durable than other paints for some reason. Would be nice to get it on refurbished machines.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

You want durable zap, you should try jet glo. I swear this paint is indestructible. Expensive as all hell, but what paint isnt these days? How ol earl scheib made money at 99bucks is beyond me. Maybe it was by saving water, they wouldnt even wash your car when you went in for a respray.o_O

My neighbor with the tormach down the street painted his truck yesterday in his driveway with boat paint. Cost him 12bucks. It's better than the primer job he had and from 75feet away, it's a good looking 400dollar truck.

Resized_20210327_183244(3).jpeg

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Man you got some cool neighbors. I need a $400 truck...

Jet glo huh? I'll have to keep it in mind. A scratch resistant paint would be welcomed for my shop tools.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

that piece of shit probably has 5grand in suspension under it. Typical right?:rolleyes:

19. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

You probably noticed that Jet Glow paint is one of those two-part polyurethane paints. I know we get warned all the time that everything is dangerous. But this paint is very likely to cause serious health issues if not used with proper PPE. I am not talking about "known to cause cancer in the State of California." These paints can cause signifcant respiratory illness and some people become exquisitely sensitive to them after a single use. I have sprayed them 30 years ago with a good fresh air supply and assited evacuation of paint fumes. I probably would be reluctant to do that now without a full hazmat suit and positive pressure fresh air supply.

Indeed, polyurethane paints are very durable and can be beautiful. But, the cautions accompanying them are real.

Denis

dennis likes this.
  20. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks OSHA!