1956 buick build

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by DavidF, Jul 15, 2020.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I don't know you.....

2. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

I don't know you either, what was I thinking...? Nice job on the hood.

DavidF likes this.
  3. DavidF

Feel like I made some progress today. Got most of the inner rocker replaced and welded in, just another 12" section to go ;).
    Once I get that in I'll epoxy prime all but the bottom half inch of it (last 1/2" will get a weld through coating on it) then seam seal it all up before welding the outer rockers and quarter patch panel in. Then the worst will be over :):)
    20220408_123332.jpg 20220415_171039.jpg 20220415_160356.jpg

DaveZ, Tobho Mott and Tops like this.
  4. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

How many car projects like this have you done? One can really see your experience. Any one of those panel cut and replacements would have me scratching my head for weeks.
    Mark

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Where the heck did my post go? That video clip was hilarious!

6. DavidF

More than I can remember... I've replaced alot of quarter panels and rockers over the years but I could buy the replacement panels.
    This is the first (hopefully last) one where I had to fabricate all the patch panels.
    I love painting, but I hate doing body work!!

7. DavidF

Diesel hit $5.50 a gallon so time to drop the engine and suspension from whoops #2 and drop it in whoops #1..
    OSHA approved car lift... :rolleyes::eek::eek:
    20220428_115634.jpg

8. DavidF

Whoops # 1 has front suspension and steering now.. dropping motor out of whoops #2 later today, after I do some weed wacking..
    20220429_191103.jpg

Tops likes this.
  9. DavidF

Engine out, engine in...;):)
    20220430_131547.jpg 20220430_162416.jpg

Tobho Mott, Rocketman and Tops like this.
  10. Tops

Holy Smokes, how long did the engine swap take?!?
    I feel good getting through a pair of rotors and a set of pads for/with one of the kids in an afternoon...

11. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Took me a while to remember that is a vintage Opel GT, I think. How did they drive. I remember the old Z cars provided a lot of fun considering how little they cost in comparision to, say, Corvettes.

Denis

12. DavidF

Not too terribly long. But I still have to hook everything up and get it running. They're pretty simple cars compared to newer ones that take three men two days just to change the spark plugs.. lol.

13. DavidF

I have no idea, I'd imagine it's alot like driving a chevette (the weight and horse power are similar) 1900 lbs and about 90 hp. At 200 hp I think it would be a blast to drive....;):D

I had a 72 240Z with a 327 4spd. It was alot of fun :)

14. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

I had a '73 Datsun 1/2 ton pickup. It was a ball to drive even with its' little 100-ish Hp 4 banger and a 4 speed.

Jason likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

That was a great little truck, with gas approaching 5bucks a gallon, I bet you wish you had that truck today!

16. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

Jason:

I've still got it. In my younger and stupider days I started dropping a 289 into it, this was the mid-70's remember. I said it wasn't going back on the road until I had a blower for it. Then life got in the road - you know, wife, kids, going back to college, WURK. It's still in the shed awaiting it's turn to go under the knife and get a little smaller, and maybe a little saner engine put into it. A 3.0L or a 4.0L V-6 would really make that thing dance.

The one that I really wish I still had was my '59 VW split windshield 23 window bus that I traded off to get the Datsun. That sucker would be worth a small fortune now - probably long since crushed.

Don

17. Jason

Jason Gold

yeah certain vw buses got stupidly over priced. It's not uncommon to see them fetch 200grand. People have rocks in their heads these days.:rolleyes: I bet there are actually fewer trucks like yours around these days than busses.

18. DavidF

Dad's 40 got picked to represent our area at the nsra nationals in KY again. He also decided to run over a jack stand in the garage and muffed up the rear fender a lil bit. I fixed it over the weekend and we bolted it back on today.
    While bolting the fender on I saw a great opportunity for a photo session....
    Let's see how good your eyes are... lol
    20220719_134918.jpg

Melterskelter and Tops like this.
  19. Tops

Ooooh, shiny!

20. Jason

Jason Gold

ya need to dig your broke dick lawn mower out of the weeds??

Did I win?