3D Printer Wax Filament

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Joe Avins, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Joe Avins

Joe Avins Copper

Is anyone using 3D printing to make wax patterns? Can one get a wax or sufficiently wax-like filament? I've googled and found that it may be possible, but that's all I know. If it can work, it seems like it would be a good idea.

2. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

Came across a product called Moldlay yesterday...seems promising but I don't have a 3d printer so didn't dig into it too hard.

Al

3. Joe Avins

Joe Avins Copper

Yeah, I haven't got one either. Or a foundry for that matter, but if there's a practical way to print wax patterns that would be one more reason to get both.

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I have printed and cast every material that s available. Each one of them presents their own challenges.

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'm about to do my first burn out and casting with PLA filament at 5% infill 2 wall layers. Will let you know how it goes. A wax filament would be nice.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Not yet kiddos. Adam beane industries was on the verge of cracking this a couple of years ago. From what I can tell, he raised a bunch of cash, got sick and disappeared somewhere warm and sunny.:rolleyes:

7. DavidF

8. DavidF

9. Jason

Jason Gold

If theses companies dont realize by now people want a viable printable wax solution, they are clueless.

10. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

11. Mach

Mach Silver

David reviews machinable wax above. My experience is its a pain to print. It curls like crazy.

Polycast is alright to print and it smooths with alcohol. I'll let you know how it burns out. I've got some bronze pieces to invest and cast.

12. DavidF

Polycast leaves alot of soot in the mold when burnt out, much the same as abs does...

Yep machinable wax does like to warp up. I like things kept simple, like plain old pla

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

So. I know I've only cast 1 item with lost PLA but it worked perfectly. No major defects I can see. Why don't people just use PLA? It even seems to drip out like wax.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  14. DavidF

You got lucky, it's not all ways so easy..

It is really dependent on the model shape. Typically spheres are notoriously difficult especially if you add in a few blind holes. The biggest hurdle for me with lost pla was finding out what can and cant be cast repeatedly.

15. Joe Avins

Joe Avins Copper

Here's a nutty idea. Someone please tell me whether it's merely nutty or downright stupid.

Take one of those shop air blow guns (e.g. this), hook it up to an oxygen cylimder with an appropriate regulator, and blow out molds where the PLA or other plastic hasn't burned away completely. I mean, do this while it's still in or just out of the furnace. That'll burn out the residue!

16. DavidF

Joe, the pla burns out perfectly clean with no ash or soot left behind...