A few new flasks for ODF...

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by OddDuck, Jan 12, 2023.

1. OddDuck

OddDuck Silver

Hemmed and hawed a bit about where to post this, finally figured it's a flask, so post it in the flask section.
    I have a large casting project imminent, and one of the parts I need to cast only works in one sized flask. Unfortunately, due to piss poor planning on my part, I only have one of that size flask. I need to make two molds for every set of parts I'm making.
    I'm doing about 20 sets.
    So, it just isn't efficient to have the one flask. I need more of that size. Unfortunately, it's the first cast flask set I made, and the patterns are in sad shape. I made the original patterns out of MDF and they have not fared well. Here's the flask and the sorry state of the original patterns.
    So, new patterns. I need probably three or four more flasks, so a matchplate would speed things up considerably, since I need to cast four sets of sides per flask. Here's the result, it's coming along nicely, I corrected a few issues the first set had as I did this new one. Hopefully will start casting these this weekend, I'll post ongoing updates.

Attached Files:

Tobho Mott and Melterskelter like this.
  2. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Those look really good. How did you do the lettering and numbers----very well-suited to these flasks?

Denis

3. OddDuck

OddDuck Silver

Thanks, Denis! On the original, I just cut them out of thin cardboard, the new ones are plastic sign letters.

Tops likes this.
  4. Melterskelter

I shouild have been clearer in my post. It was the ones you hand cut that I especially liked. The plastic ones are fine too. But the paper ones were classy.

Denis

5. OddDuck

OddDuck Silver

Ah, ok. Yeah, started doing them that way again and didn't like how they were coming out. The original was more or less a direct rip-off of the ones Lionel Oliver did on the Backyard Metalcasting site. Easy is good, sometimes. They really don't need it, but what the heck.

6. OddDuck

OddDuck Silver

Well, first couple of tries, not quite hot enough. It molded up quite nicely, so I'm happy with that.

Attached Files:

7. Melterskelter

I am going to hazard a guess here that the real problem with your pour is that these molds were laid down level rather than inclined slightly from the gate up. Had they been inclined there would’ve been a more organized filling along with a single steadily-advancing meniscus and the metal wouldn’t have had time to slow down in some areas and and partially freeze. Just a half inch to an inch over a twenty or 30” run makes all the difference.

I can not tell for sure where your gates were, but I think the ideal location would be on one end or the other to allow good filling progression.
    Denis

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    Tops likes this.
  8. OddDuck

OddDuck Silver

The ingates are at one end, the first one (the worse of the two), was a simple short pour. I misjudged the amount of metal I needed. The second one was just a little cold. The end plate came out fine, the side was just a little short. I managed to cast enough for a complete flask, just had to make sure I poured on the hot side, and made sure the other end was well vented. I'll probably be posting pics of the parts and the assembled flask in the next day or so.

9. OddDuck

OddDuck Silver

First one complete! Not totally happy with it, mainly the placement of the ears, but I'm not frigging with the pattern, it just worked too well. This one went together a lot quicker than the original, but I wasn't nearly as fussy with the fit and finish this time. It works is the standard we're shooting for here.
    I also modified the original to a 3/8" pin, instead of the 1/4" threaded bolt I used, should improve separation somewhat. Only 2 more to make for my goal of 4 total of this size.

Attached Files:

Tobho Mott, Tops and Melterskelter like this.
  10. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Those should serve you well ODF. Well done.

Best,
    Kelly

11. OddDuck

OddDuck Silver

Thanks Kelly! Can never have too many flasks. Room to store them is another story, though...

BattyZ and Tobho Mott like this.