A small picture frame

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Lee in Cornwall, May 19, 2022.

1. I found a small pencil drawing done by a late friend of mine, Lorna. It's a view from her previous house from her window or garden, not sure which. I decided it needed a proper frame, so I designed one in a CAD programme called Designspark, and 3D printed it. I didn't like the castings from this 3D print, so I designed another one. For the metal there was only going to be one choice. As Lorna and I were both Austin Seven owners, and I had a small supply of damaged A7 aluminium engine parts, 90 year old Austin Seven aluminium it was. It didn't pour well, I left the metal in the electric foundry for plenty of time. The crucible was glowing and the temp was at 750C for 45 minutes. Eventually I got a good pour, after at least 5 failed ones. I then thought about a stand to display the picure. Another 3D print and using the last of the A7 metal (nearly the last). I had the base for the stand. I then bought some 4MM dia brass rod and made two supports. The frame has Lorna's name cast into it. The photos have my silver dollar for scale. Yes, I know it's filthy, but I wear it all day on a silver chain with Lorna's gold chain fixed to the silver one.
    IMAG0027_1.jpg IMAG0028_1.jpg IMAG0029_1.jpg

2. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  3. Denis,
    The metal came from a starter motor housing that held the starter motor, badly cracked and even badlier welded numerous years ago. And the camshaft mounted pulley that drives the cooling fan. They often break when trying to get them off. I think you are right that the parts would have been die cast.
    I also cast a frame using modern metal, ZL12. 88% zinc 12% aluminium. It cast the part perfectly. The surface was better, and it filled the sharp edges better too. But I prefer the A7 frame!
    I think the failures were down to getting the metal into the mould quickly. This casting had an inlet formed by a 20mm dia tube. I did cut a pouring basin, but it might have allowed some air in. Not sign of bubbles or sand in the surface though.

4. PortaMelt

PortaMelt Copper

Very nicely done :)

5. RasySumka

RasySumka Lead

Thank you for sharing your heartfelt project, and I hope your frame brings you joy and fond memories of your friend.

6. DavidBlaker

DavidBlaker Copper

Your story about creating a frame for your late friend Lorna's pencil drawing is touching and shows a lot of dedication. It's a beautiful way to honor her memory. Using 90-year-old Austin Seven aluminum engine parts adds a unique and sentimental touch to the frame.
    Speaking of preserving memories and artwork, if you ever consider turning your artwork or photographs into canvas prints, you can explore the option of Canvas Prints Online. It's a wonderful way to display and cherish your creations or meaningful artwork like Lorna's drawing.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  7. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Well done Lee.

I'm an A7 fan myself and have a '33 Ruby shell in the queue.