Aliexpress waste oil burner atomizers?

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by Dazz, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

I just richen it until it gets a little smokey. I dial it back until the smoke just goes away and the flames are licking outside the exhaust by a few inches. Done.

2. OMM

OMM Silver

I’ve tried to understand what some have posted. But this is above most paygrade backyard guys.

I am going to mix a bit of calculations here metric and imperial because I like CFM and I also like litres per minute (or gallons per minute is 3.785 more).

At .1 L per minute (1.58 gallons per hour) of fuel you need about 40 CFM of air. I found my sweet spot to be about 37 CFM of air. The air can be pressurized (I’m doing it) at a ratio. I have dug into this so deep keep my delivery lines for air at half-inch, requires a specific air pump.

Currently my blower sheers the oil enough to burn. There is no magic here(maybe some:cool:).

Try to keep a burn tube around 1.5 to 2 inches. You’ll have decent results from almost any blower.

I am personally trying to breaking the rules.

To sheer/atomize a fuel/oil, takes pressurized air. This air can be added to (or subtracted from) the combustion air required. I had to learn this the hard way.

I tried bubbling my fuel lines with compressed air. It worked better but it was harder to control.

I am ok taking two steps back and one step forward.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  3. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

My blower is a 75W induction motor driven squirrel cage blower. I 3D printed a transition duct down to the 1 1/4 water pipe hot shot drip burner. I was unsure whether it would pump in enough air, but seems well matched to a 250mm (10") bore. It melts about 5kg of iron in about 20 minutes. You can see it on my foundry tour video at about 3:30

Mark

4. Dazz

Dazz Copper

Hi
    A pressurized oil burner with a swirl plate restricts air flow.
    Does anyone know what size motor the Beckett type burners use as a guide for what I need to use?
    Beckett Burners

Dazz

5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

6. I think I am going to try this Ali again nozzle with the turbulator.

7. solarguy

solarguy Lead

I have built one of these based on the chinese atomizer nozzle and MyFordboy's video. I have had a more or less successful first run. Unlike Myfordboy's setup, I had to preheat the furnace to get it to light. I believe this is because of the fuel I used, which was mostly old soybean oil and a little motor oil. Pretty high viscosity and very slow flame front. If you get unburnt oil and a lot of smoke, you're probably pushing too much air through the furnace. One thing I learned almost immediately is that a hefty vacuum cleaner converted into the blower was waaaay to much low pressure air. It started to work better then I cut the output on the blower by 90%. Now I'm working on a much smaller fan.

I didn't find the turbulator that hard to build.

8. rocco

rocco Silver

Interesting observations. And, pictures please.

9. solarguy

solarguy Lead

I'm a bit swamped at the moment, but I intend to post pictures and updates on the performance. I have a couple patterns done to build a 2x sized mill engine (Elmer #33) so I anticipate trying it out in the next two weeks.

10. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

If I'm not mistaken Myfordboy preheats his WMO in a coffee urn. I'm sure that's what makes lighting off the oil from a cold start possible.

Pete

11. I received my Aliexpress waste oil burner atomizer. Naturally, the first thing I did was take it apart. Value is good at $30, and is hard to beat despite the marginal quality. One of the compression fittings had burs and the o-ring in the nozzle was damaged. Can't complain too much, it came with 2 extra o-rings. Once I remove the burs and replace the o-ring I think it will work well. I like the turbulator constructions. I think it will work well. The turbulator is a little big at 3 IN dia.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  12. myfordboy

myfordboy Silver

With my set up I only pre heat the oil in cold weather and can light the furnace without any pre heat using waste motor oil as fuel.
    My oil tank is a mop bucket siting on top of a single electric hob. I have a timer fitted so the heater cuts out after 5 minutes. I fitted this because once I switched on the heater and went indoors, when I came out the oil was boiling! I have a thermometer to measure the oil temperature and when I do heat the oil take it up to about 35C.
    I have a spin vane fitted but not convinced if it necessary, I have tried it without and the burner worked OK. You need some kind of fitting to centralise the nozzle in the tube so a spin vane seemed the way to go.

OMM likes this.
  13. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'm pretty sure it was Bill T. From alloyavenue who was using a coffee urn for an oil burner fuel preheater tank. His sig there suggests it, which I remember because it had me keeping my eyes open for a used one for years. Finally found mine just a few months ago, but I haven't tried using it yet.

Jeff