Alloy Avenue?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by rocco, May 9, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Sorry to pee in your cheerios, it's been like that for a few months with that 403 error. I'm just about to dump that bookmark. I usually check it a couple times a week. That site is F'd!

2. rocco

rocco Silver

The 403 error is gone, now it's a database error, like I said, a different sort of F'd.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

this is what I get.

Screenshot_20210312-154849_Samsung Internet.jpg

4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I used to still be able to use my 'new posts' link to see links to the last posts that were made (but not open them). Now the same link brings this up:

Capture+_2021-03-12-16-53-26.png

Jeff

5. rocco

rocco Silver

The only place I get the 403 message is the forum's main page, if try to go anywhere else, I get a message like the one Jeff posted.
    My point is simply, something's changed and I wonder if that's indicative of anything significant.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

I think it's done guys. Lots of good info dumped down the memory hole.:(

7. rocco

rocco Silver

I'm guessing you're probably right. Even though the forums haven't been usable for a long time, at least the info was still there, still searchable and still somewhat accessible, it seems like that's gone now too, very disappointing.

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Is there a cached version of it somewhere?

9. dennis

dennis Silver

Makes me glad I got some pictures over the years there.

10. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Hey! Looks like a lot of long faces here, I'll add mine to the ranks.:( People almost always feel better when there are more people feeling down. Now I do have a question, and it is... do any of you guys holds the domain on that website?
    Cheers! Patrick

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Sucks to think about the loss of information and the countless hours of everyone that donated their time answering questions and adding value to AA. That site was the number one resource on the net! SO for that, to the owner who has let it go down the toilet, a nice FU is in order from me!:mad: Am I a little bitter? YOU BET I AM! I'm done listening to the excuses he's busy or whatever..

Bookmark deleted!;) I'm glad to see the participation here as this site grows into a valuable database for home metal casters of all walks! Good on us!

12. GTS225

GTS225 Silver

Now Jason, there could actually be a number of very valid reasons for failure on the part of the owner. Do you know how old he is, or his health conditions? I don't, and as disappointed as I am about it, I take those things into account. For all any of us knows, he might be on his deathbed riddled with cancer, or worse, has already passed on.

Yes, the whole situation is dismal, but is it really worth elevating your own blood pressure over?

Just my thoughts.....Roger

13. rocco

rocco Silver

Most of the time, I'm inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt, this time however I'm inclined to side with Jason. The owner, Lionel, isn't old, he's middle aged, he started the forums and seems to have never had any interest in maintaining them as he's been pretty much AWOL since day one. I'm sure he's knows how popular they had become and that they were an important resource for many so, if he wasn't willing or able to maintain things properly, he would have had no trouble delegating that to any one of a number of dedicated and capable members and should have done so long ago.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Jason likes this.
  14. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Or even given or sold the domain and forum to someone who was willing. I'm sure there would have been takers.

Best,
    Kelly

rocco and Jason like this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

Roger, you're right, we dont know everything, but c'mon man, pass the friggen keys! He shouldn't just let millions of posts vanish. Forums are places of valuable information. I cant tell you how many times I've googled something only to get a link to AA. Many of us spent HOURS building detailed threads on furnace builds, burners and casting work... All GONE without so much as an explanation? At a minimum, he owes me that! Those threads represent moments in my life that were years of hard work. And I am not alone in this. He kicked all of us squarely in the nuts!

16. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I could have hired someone to merge the two forums on to this format. I think anyways.
    Pretty sure I've seen it done on the zenforo forums before...

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I think I've seen it done on other forums too.

Is there any way one of us could drive over to his house and download a copy of the database so we can upload it on this site? Anyone near him in real life or know his addy?

18. Jason

Jason Gold

Would he even have the database? I thought vb was all online. I'll show my age here, but I miss the days of front page. It was easy to keep a copy locally. But a couple hundred thousand posts with photos would eat some serious space!:eek:

19. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

That is actually why I was asking. I would love to rebuild those forums, and I would rather use alloyavenue.com than alloyavenue.net or something. Yeah I have some experience in website building and tech. I would really like to get a hold on that domain.
    Patrick

20. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Maybe we can track the guy down and negotiate with him for the info we want. It can't just have disappeared entirely.