anachronism

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by anachronism, Sep 8, 2019.

1. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Not that it really matters, but I am not seeing a correlation between crucible sizes and copper mass in kilograms.
    Here is a Morgan Salamander Super A chart.

Copper is slightly more dense than brass.

For example, for a #10 crucible, the brass capacity in kg is 18, and the kg for copper would be higher.
    That is like a 2:1 difference, and so no correlation.

Maybe I am missing something.

MORGAN-A-CHART.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

I could see that.. Brass being 35% zinc... Zinc should be lighter than copper.

3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

One online source (not sure how accurate) gives the following:

Brass: 0.3034692528 lb/cubic inch

Copper: 0.32174966 lb/cubic inch

4. Jason

Jason Gold

So no one remembers that "what is a metal" video with the funny old man????????????

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Not me.
    I hardly remember what I did yesterday.

Edit:
    Hey, I like that signature. :)

6. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

I don't know how they can say "X kilos of Brass", there are many compositions of brass. All them have different densities.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Good point. But what's the most common? Yellow brass? Bronze would probably have the same issue, 31 flavors.o_O

8. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Brass density varies by around 2.5% with different alloys so on a 1Kg pot you could be plus or minus 12.5 grams, I can spill more than that on the way to the mould.

Anyway, I miss-spelt my google search and typed 'bra density' so I seem to have date with 'busty of Suffolk' so I'm going to leave it there...... ;)

Jason likes this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

Enjoy your date Peedee. "Always loved the big round ones" ~ Boabby the bartender

STILL_GAME_BID_DN01-e1470410726233.jpg

10. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

Just saw the Salamander chart above. I thought my crucibles were an A10 size but according to that they are actually an A16! Pretty heavy when full, I thought I was just getting old, I feel better now.