Another Newbie

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by HotRodTractor, Dec 29, 2020.

1. HotRodTractor

HotRodTractor Copper

I've been in an around casting for years, but have done very little personally. My day job revolves around industrial automation with a specialty in die-casting, forging, and foundry work, so I see a lot of castings and am familiar with how they are made.

I've wanted to have some home foundry capability for several years. After a lot of patience, I have started to pick up some equipment and will be making my first castings in 2021 - hopefully, by spring I will have everything I need and an area setup for it.

My recent purchases include a pair of crucible furnaces and a sand muller. The muller will need a rebuild, and one of the furnaces is missing the burner and all the supporting hardware.

Over the next couple of months, I will start setting up my casting area and build flasks, a molding bench, etc.... and hopefully by March/April - I will be melting metal and making castings. I also need to go and collect the muller and get it into the shop and see what it needs - I will need some eyes and experience from others in the forum for that as I am not that familiar with that piece of equipment.

Jason Hoffman

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hey Jason, sounds like you're well on your way. Plenty of help here when/if you need it. Welcome.

Best,
    Kelly

3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Wow, you are well on your way indeed! Looking forward to future updates. Welcome to the home foundry.

Jeff

4. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

Welcome to the forum Jason, you have certainly come to the right place for advice and help. Sounds like your off to a good start.

5. HotRodTractor

HotRodTractor Copper

Thanks for the welcome guys. I've been busy with other chores the last couple of days, but I did manage to measure my furnaces so I had a better idea of what I exactly have. They are both Speedy-Melt units - with the tags being fairly unreadable.

The small unit has a burn chamber that measures out to be 10" in diameter and 12" deep - this seems to align pretty well with being able to hold an A16 crucible according to the MIFCO site. (basically a B-160 unit)

The large unit has a burn chamber that measures out to be 17" in diameter and 18" deep - this aligns somewhat with the MIFCO B-702 furnace - so it should be able to comfortably a 70lb crucible. This is also the unit I need to build a burner for. Thanks to the MIFCO site - I know I need to target 210cfm for the blower and 900K BTUs.

Both of them align pretty well with my long-term goals as far as sizing goes - so I am pretty happy about that.

Jason