Anyone interested in joining a Whatsapp or group text?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I talk with a group of friends from another forum using an app called whatsapp quite often. Its fun and a good way to chat about our mutual fish/aquarium hobby and what we are up to without making formal posts on the forum. More of less a good place to shoot the shit and talk about hobby related stuff.

I think it would be fun to get a similar group going with forum members here. Anyone have the app whatsapp? It lets you send videos and pics and make free calls which makes it easier to use than a group text. I suppose if we have a lot of old fogies who can't download apps here we could go for a text group instead :)

So who is interested?

2. OCD

OCD Silver

Old Fogie!!! o_O
    Who you calling old fogie, punk? :p

And what’s the age cut off to be considered an Old Fogie??

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ahah, the cut off is knowing how to download an app onto your smart phone :)

4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Been meaning to install whatsapp so I can text my friend who is teaching English to teenage girls enrolled in a South Korean beauty school. You know, so I can make sure he hasn't been locked up yet or anything. Maybe when I get a new phone I'll do that; the contract on the one I have is up in less than 2 weeks and I'm sick of it always being too full to put more apps on and randomly shutting itself off all the time anyhow...

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

App.......is that like an additive you put in the iron to make it machine better?
    I need 5 lbs of app to go please; I gotta make a pour today.

I use the calculator, and the stopwatch function on my phone clock.
    Do I get partial credit?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  6. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

My phone is dumb. It only makes phone calls. Oh, it takes crappy pictures but I can't get them out to put on my puter.

7. Mister ED

Mister ED Silver

Bwahahaha ... download a what to a what?
    I have a flip phone. If people text me ... they will not get an answer nor will I read it.

8. Peedee

Peedee Silver

My phone has a dial and a cable that's attached to the wall, can you talk me through the process of doing this?

9. OCD

OCD Silver

Mine has a string with 2 green bean cans attached.
    Can anybody provide tech support for installing this app you speak of?

10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

It's no good OCD, I sent him smoke signals and a brief session in morse and still no reply, anyone know metaphor?

11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

-. --- / .- -... .-.. . / - --- / --. . - / .- .--. .--. --..-- / .--. .-.. . .- ... . / .... . .-.. .--. .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- /

12. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Would a whatsapp group remove some potentially valuable content from the site? Real-time help is always a good thing to have but...

13. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I knew a metaphor once, but he got a job in another city and moved away.

14. Zapins

Zapins Gold

"no?able?to?get?app??please?help????"

Haha.

I think the text group would be fun and wouldn't take away from the forum but would be good to keep in contact and make sure we don't fall off the face of the he earth like mantrid. Send me a PM with your number and I'll start the text group :)

15. OCD

OCD Silver

UPS, USPS or Fed Ex?

16. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Royal mail, by penny black..... \sorry it was too much not to have bit of fun ;) I don't do apps.

17. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I don't do apps either, not that I have anything against them, and not that I cannot learn new things (I like to think that I am a new dog that can learn new tricks, although I am old relatively speaking), but in general I am trying to stay off of social media in general, for reasons obvious to those who have followed me on Alloy Avenue, which is that the more I say about off topics, the more I become a "tar-baby", and the more I say/speculate, the deeper I get mired into an intractable situation, so best to just keep it on topic and share foundry stuff (ONLY).

My opinions are just that; opinions, and in the greater scheme of the world, I have found that:
    1. My opinions don't really matter to most people.
    2. Nobody wants to hear my opinions; they have their own.

Its all good.
    It a great big world we live in.
    I am just glad to have a stable place to share casting information (thanks David).

Edit:
    But what I forgot to mention is that we do live in the same state (Zapins), and there is nothing to keep you from driving over and having a casting chat/day, perhaps with porositymaster (who lives within driving distance), and Jammer who also lives in the same state (unless he finished moving, in which case he will have to drive a bit further to have a "cast-in" day where we all sit around, talk about casting things, cast some things, and do a lot of iron work hopefully.)
    For me, a "cast-in" is a real-time app with some valuable face-to-face.
    Not criticizing apps, but just saying.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  18. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I think the sentiment is great, I'm sure others will jump in. As Pat said I don't do that well on social media (and my phone will probably collapse, and I don't do data on my phone).

I do hope you get something going.

19. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

Tennessee is long and narrow, Pat's about 4 1/2 hours away and some of the others are 3 hours the other direction. I thought Zapins went back in Connecticut, but maybe not. ?

20. PatJ

PatJ Silver

What's a 1,000 miles between friends? :)