Anyone using a "Squeezer" or other means of compressing their sand?

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by John Gaertner, Apr 27, 2022.

1. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

I am interested in making a manual sand mold squeezer and was wondering if anyone on the forum had used one? I know of the larger foundry pneumatic ones, and I could build one of those. I have a nice spare air ram laying around in the shop but I was thinking more on the lines of a lever fulcrum type unit. If my calculations are correct I should be able to get 3 times the force in newtons that I can apply on my own.

Looking for constructive suggestions. Thanks. Jgaertner

2. A friend of mine wants to sell 2 squeezer sand molding machines. 12" squeeze cylinder. 12in. International Molding.jpg

3. Located in PA $850 ea $1500 for both.

4. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

Thanks, that is a beauty, for sure. I am afraid I do not do enough casting to warrant buying a professional squeezer. Thanks for the picture and share. Jgaertner

5. This machine is for flasks up to 20" x 20" typically 14" x 18". I would think it would be loud, the air the jolt. A new 12" machine is over $20,000.
    I am replying not only to you but for anyone else who might read this thread.

John Gaertner likes this.
  6. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

7. That's actually a great price for that Osborn. It really looks like a very nice machine. The ones I posted are the next size bigger.

8. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

It was a good machine. I suspect that a willing buyer and seller infrequently meet for any given machine. They probably almost always go to scrap. The family and I decided on the 650 price as being “respectful” of the deceased prior owner.They did not want to give it away and did not want to scrap it. I think the buyer got a great deal and the family was positively delighted that the machine he restored would live on. Given the rest of the estate was well into the millions of dollars, the actual money from this transaction was incidental
    Denis

9. The reason they bring a minimum price is because the knee valve replacement cost is over $1,000!

10. Rocketman

Rocketman Silver Banner Member

Where at in PA?

11. Rocketman

Rocketman Silver Banner Member

jolt_squeeze.jpg

Picked this old SPO brand machine last October on eBay, overpaid for it but I've been after one of these for years.
    It's the correct size for my shop operations and it was only a few hours away (most I have seen for sale are 16+hrs away from me)

Had to upgrade my air compressor and been fighting a lack of free time so I've verified the machine works but haven't been using it for molding yet.

I had a thread here previously regarding air suspension bags as the motive force in a DIY squeezer, had I not found this machine I probably would have gone that route
    Thread: http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/useful-item-for-diy-molding-machine.1804/

12. Reading Area

13. Spo and Osborn are the same company now. Ok, that is a portable cantilever type. Stationary and swing head are the other choices. And that valve is the reason users with these machines will buy them for the parts. The squeeze cylinder rarely needs replacing but replacing the rings is a must on these older machines. Not easy without a ring suppressor. So basically, if there are no cracks or spiders on the machine, the machine is good.