Banner Member privileges

Discussion in 'Forum suggestions' started by J.Vibert, Oct 23, 2017.

1. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I just saw the forum bulletin regarding the removal of a "contributor only" area. Personally I think it's a solid idea, and thanks David.

If you're open to suggestions... How about you only allow pic hosting to those kind enough to support your forum.

That may sound odd coming from someone who isn't a banner member, but I do think those willing to pitch in, get a bonus beyond a ribbon below their name.

Another goal thing you may consider, is a live chat box (banner member only). Way back in the day, I was a member of a car audio forum wherein they had such a chat box. Posting back and forth within a thread is one thing, but truly having a conversation with like minded people was real fun. I have zero concept of the work involved in something of that nature.

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Could offer free picture hosting up to say....20MB;) .....and then require some degree of upgrade and fee beyond that. It's really just a matter of cost of owning and operating the site and hosting costs as the site grows and time marches on. Maybe the voluntary contribution from membership will always be enough to swing that. Anything that gets membership to join and psot (pictures or not but better with) is positive and if it locally hosted and forever memorialized here on the site then even better.

Best,
    Kelly

3. OCD

OCD Silver

I sincerely think admin. needs to get off their tooshes and do something with the store that allows paid members discounts on refractories, metals and the like.
    Whether it be a direct discount or through a supplier.

4. OCD

OCD Silver

I also think the classifieds should be restricted to paid members as well.

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I don't recall David ever mentioning discount:D....could be mark up for you OCD.

Best,
    Kelly

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

You will all have to wait until my new shop gets built before i get the store up and running. Likely end of next year.

7. DavidF

If i make it paid members only, then how would someone who just wants sometjing cast post in there??

8. OCD

OCD Silver

Ok David, let me clarify.
    Sale & For Sale section, “Classifieds”

A Services section should be for anybody and everybody.

9. OCD

OCD Silver

Your lucky I don’t invoice you for just being here. :cool: :D

10. DavidF

Did ya know there is a media section where banner members can create their own album?
    Its been up and open, but so far i think im the only one who has put any pictures up. Still havent figured out how the damn thing is suppposed to work though..lol

11. OCD

OCD Silver

Nobody wants to look at your prized BP. :eek:

12. Jason

Jason Gold

I grew up with the conviction of PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!

And that's all I am going to say about that. David knows where I stand on this one.;)

13. DavidF

Hell no!! Things can go quickly south with one of those things... Ya know if you really want to chat with someone there is this thing called a "telephone" where you actually talk, and not just text...
    Lets face it, many of us have gotten to know each other through forums like this. Its really not a big issue to actually give them a call and say hello and worse come to worst there is call block LOL

14. DavidF

where ya been??
    But you didn't enter the Halloween casting contest?? You better enter the next one then... One year anniversary ??

15. Jason

Jason Gold

I've been wrenching on the airplane 12-14 hrs a day for the last few weeks. I'll jump in the next Halloween contest, I promise. I put my money where my mouth is.... Didn't you see my 4hrs of video? I gained a lot of respect for you guys that bang out videos... Lots of work!

Metal casting is not something I really want to live chat or live stream.... Remember Bob Ross tv shows? I'd be half as boring watching me drip wax... Bob ross was fun to watch, because we were all trying to figure out what illegal substance was his MO....o_O

16. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Money-where-mouth-is-wise, I can vouch for Jason being as good as his word; the real proof is sitting pretty on the wall beside my front door, holding up a few sets of keys with its shiny bronze tails. If the banner under his name here isn't proof enough for anyone, that is. So I believe him when he says he'll do the next contest, or threatens someone with an unending stream of unsolicited slightly barbed buttplugs arriving via courier, or whatever it might be going forward.

I paid for a banner here ASAP and was happy to be given the option to do so, just so as to be be reasonably sure people won't start running out of upload space. Always maintained I'd do the same at AA if it were an option there, so for me part of it is putting my money where my mouth is too. No regrets, I have definitely gotten more than that $30 worth of benefit out of the online casting forums and community - Happy that I now have a way to give back a little!

So, as it stands now, our banners get us access to creating albums in the media section, right?

Is there anything else here so far (at the moment) available to banner members that isn't accessible to all registered members?

Just curious; I'm not asking for anything.

I guess I am waiting to see what others will do with their album space before I decide how I want to use mine. On AA my album quickly became, and remains, mainly as a space for me to store frequently used pictures for easy re-finding and re-posting, and not so much of an actual photo album really. Can you imagine how fast I would have blown up my 20 megs if I'd had to upload a new copy of my charcoal furnace spitting 4-foot flames out the vent all over again every time, instead of just copy/pasting the bb-link from my album whenever I wanted to re-post that image for emphasis in a little 'how-NOT-to' for the latest newbie who shows up with a 5 gallon bucket charcoal furnace that they expect to run off a leaf blower without instantly destroying their soup can crucible?! I know there are other ways to re-post previous uploads, but you have to find them first... which can be a bit more of a PITA.

Anyhow, I'm hoping to get better use of my album space here, but I'm still not sure exactly how I want to deal with it. That is why I haven't posted anything there yet.

Jeff

17. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Maybe a "the home foundry" logo and some stickers... supporters kit? Nothing fancy. Tee-sharts are good to gather supporter $ as well.

18. DavidF

Ill come up with something.... Keep the suggestions coming.
    I was thinking of making a THF adhesive backed emblem or something.

19. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Ooooh, those ideas for banner holder swag /site store items sound really cool!

Just please, no pictures on them of our site mascot. No offense Jason, you do beautiful work when you are using your powers for good rather than evil, but I'm not sticking a sticker/emblem on anything of mine or wearing a tea-shart that has a pic of David's little buddy on it. :eek:

Jeff

20. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I've been trying...lol. As far as making a phone call over chatting via online text to people around the world.... Well when you don't need to worry about international long distance charges for a mere "hey how's it going", then ya, I can see that being the more personable option. Me..., I'd rather save that coin and donate it to you.

I've been hesitant doing the upload thing for pic hosting. Not just here, but anywhere. I learnt a major lesson with the PB bullshit. I tend to do a lot of pic documenting of my efforts, and although I'm sure the idea here is to not have to worry about pic hosting, I really don't want to have to repeat what I had to do with reclaiming my pics from PB. My own fault for not backing up my phone pics, and opted to use the PB app instead.