Banner Member privileges

Discussion in 'Forum suggestions' started by J.Vibert, Oct 23, 2017.

1. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

whoever mentioned chat Box? Shush,, they require real time moderation, and shared information is lost on them, if a bunch of you want to chat, share facebook info and message... I would love to have most of you on my facebook ...
    V/r HT1

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Sorry man.. no bookface for me. Too many pyscho ex girlfriends.... Could get ugly real fast!

3. OCD

OCD Silver

4. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

don't friend your ex girl friends and change your settings to friends only... no drama!

V/r HT1

5. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Good point about the lost info... but then again, tons of info is lost all the time in actual threads, so I don't see it as all that different really.

I try to maintain a zero footprint within social media. I do have a Facebook account that I keep active just so I can video chat with my wife when I'm on the road for free. (sure beats those long distance charges I mentioned a while back)

I enjoyed the live chat in the forum that had it. Not for everyone I suppose. You could opt to filter out someone just making noise in the one I partook in, so moderation wasn't really needed.

6. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

the problem with Chat Boxes is that a single person will give you info, without any checks and balances person A will tell you just melt and pour brass,,, meaning Yellow brass since that is what they use while another will remind you a leaded tin bronze must be degassed. the advantage of forums is that you get input from many people, and the first person you talk to MAYNOT be an expert. so that additional input is very important.

additionally chat is fleeting so people rush answers... dont we all prefer detailed explanations with pictures and references... wont happen in chat

V/r HT1

7. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

lots of bad/unchecked info in threads as well... Again, really no different.

The single example I'm drawing my opinion from was a good one, and there was countless threads with active participation everyday. Certainly didn't hurt the forum, and it was fun. Banter in chat boxes provide you a sense of someone's personality, that you generally don't glean from scripted detailed thread posts with pics and references.

I didn't mean to suggest that a chat box should replace the forum. Not that that would happen anyway. Seems like I'm the sole proponent so I don't think there's any threat of it happening.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Well I got the bill today. ONE YEAR HERE! Congrats to all the members that have made this forum a smashing success! Lot's of great exchanges of info, tips and tricks going on. Well worth the money I paid.
    I got an alert today and it said it was time to renew. That was easy! Click the link and off to paypal it goes, whip out the card and done. So I'm sure it will come around for the rest of you guys soon. I'd buy each of you a beer or 6 if I could, but this is the next best thing! Rock on THF!

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  9. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Done.

Thanks David for starting this up.
    Great place with talented people.

It makes all the difference having an active owner and a site that functions well.

Rtsquirrel and Jason like this.
  10. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Thanks Pat.
    Active owner is grumpy right now because he sees all these new furnace builds going on and wants to build his too!!! But is unfortunately tied up with house renovation. :(:(:(
    But it makes me happy to see everyone else getting all fired up;) :D:p
    Oh well, guess the A 200 will have to wait a few more months for its break in.

Rtsquirrel, Jason and Mark's castings like this.
  11. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Yes I know the feeling, I was out of pocket for 7 months doing that sort of thing, and during the good spring weather too.
    You better hurry up, I am looking at an A400 on ebay (just kidding).

Edit:
    Ok, I found an A400 crucible. Reasonably priced. Shipping may be a bit severe. Think of the possibilities though.
    http://www.metalsupermarket.com/ferrous.asp

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm saddled with honey do lists too David. Right now, it's a laundry room overhaul and then it will be time to change out my HVAC. I've only had the new equipment sitting in the garage for the last year. I'm surprised it made it through this summer with temps close to 110 for a month straight. What sucks is I KNOW the new stuff isn't the same quality as my old equipment, but I'm DONE dealing with R22. Stuff costs a fortune these days. As much as I'd like to work on some bronze, I just can't at the moment.

Thanks again for building this site. Dare I say it, but it seems a little quiet over at a certain unnamed metal casting site these days.... hmmm. Wonder why that is?:oops:

13. Surprisingly enough refrigerant gases made in China show up on some Pacific islands for dirt cheap prices. No idea what your customs people would do with a fridge gas smuggler though.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

2020 is it for R22. It's already nearing $1000 for 30lbs. By comparison, R410A is less than $200 for 30lbs. There is going to be a lot of pissed off people when they see what happens to the price as supplies start to run out. Retail prices here are already $80 a pound plus labor. :eek:

15. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Holy crap!! I have 2 full bottles of the stuff :D:D

16. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I didn't get the memo, but my banner seems to have expired! I checked my spam folder and everything. I'll go check the thread where it says how to get it back.

Meanwhile, related to a recent thread...

We've seen political discussions spin out of hand before over in the D.W. on AA, nobody wants that here.

Maybe we need to bring back a members only section, for mods to split or move discussions that wander off topic and/or possibly into areas that might be a little bit touchy to some.

The D.W. was always supposed to do that, but IMO it never really succeeded too well.

I've seen similar "beekeepers" subforums work well on other sites to keep things on topic for anyone who doesn't specifically ask to see all the off topic or controversial posts show up in their mobile notifications and when they check "new posts". You had to check a box saying you were 18 or over and send a request to a mod to gain access to that section. Barring outright hate speech which obviously was not allowed, nobody could complain that something they read there wasn't what they had signed up for.

Something like this being for banner members only would help keep the amount of off topic content there from getting out of hand, and let the folks who keep the lights on here feel free to speak their minds.

We can have our cake and eat it too! In this case, the cake is political talk. And let's be honest, it probably ought to be butt plugs too.

Just a thought. What do you all think?

I'm off to go find my lost banner, I feel naked without it.

Jeff

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Put some damn clothes on Jeff. No one wants to see little jeff.:eek::p
    The renewal rate ($$$) will be interesting to see as the time is rolling around on most folks.

No ticky, NO LAUNDRY!

18. Tobho Mott

Well, I got mine renewed...

Jeff

19. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I got an alert on the forum here (at the top by alerts was a little red 1 ) to tell me I had expired. Re-upped through the link. Really thought it worked pretty good. But you had to be paying attention, it a subtle reminder....not a 2x4 between the eyes. :)

20. Tobho Mott

Ah, I was thinking it would be an email. I probably deleted the forum alert without noticing it because I usually also get an email.

Anyhow, glad to have my banner back. Happy birthday THF!

Jeff

Rtsquirrel likes this.