Been trapped by flooding: back home now

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Mark's castings, Mar 11, 2018.

1. I've been out of town the last week so I haven't been posting until now. I went to Townsville for my nephew's geology degree graduation and we had the heaviest rain in ten years. To cut a long story short, the coast road is still flooded and I got home via the inland route. There was plenty of wild life on the middle of the road, including grey kangaroos, two wedgetail eagles, wild boars, several loose cattle, a turtle and even a tree kangaroo!.

We successfully avoided all those in the car, missed three speed traps and a two highway patrol cars by luck and nearly made it home, only to have a car heading travelling on the wrong side towards us on a four lane highway at night nearly hit me with my elderly mother travelling with me in the passenger seat.

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Wow. Glad you're ok. I hope your home and property are free from flood damage?

Best,
    Kelly

3. Luckily the house was perfectly fine, I have been fitting underground drainage which copes with all but the most serious rain. We are on the coast in a flood delta so it's all relative. I heard it was 30" of rainfall over three days, mostly well South of here so the highway is still blocked along the coast.

4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Inches or mm?

5. 700 mm or 27.56 inches

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

That's crazy! We average 40" in a year, and I thought that was plenty! It's hard to visualize what an inch of rain looks like, but I do a mental comparison to snow. 1" of rain = approximately 1' of snow.
    But you're right, it's all relative.

Pete

7. 40 Inches is the total rainfall for March 2017, let alone a full year. It's the price we pay for winter low temps of 60 degrees F, sometimes it gets so cold that I have to wear slightly thicker fabric shirts :eek:.