Beer Keg Furnace Build in Brazil

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by PatJ, Sep 16, 2018.

1. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I ran across a video of a guy who built a beer keg furnace in Brazil.

Looks like a very talented guy who does both metal work and woodworking.

A bit tricky to read in Portuguese, but not too bad to translate as languages go.
    I think it says "How to make a foundry for aluminum".

Part 1:

Part 2:

John Homer and Rtsquirrel like this.
  2. Pretty cool!

I wonder if his pouring shank is going to work. I suspect the crucible will grow enough to make a tight fit, but the concept is nice.

He also circulates the flame clockwise like it should be (or at least like I do).

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I sent him an email in Portuguese.
    Perhaps he will join here.
    Luckily Portuguese is a lot like Spanish, which I can follow a bit.

4. Robert

Robert Silver

I'm no safety Nazi, but you have to wonder about the welding without gloves. I see arc ray burns in his future...
    Robert

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I have been known to do some of that myself.
    I did get a bit of a sunburn, but no problem really if you don't do too much of it.

6. The harm is UV damage to the skin which I understand can promote skin cancer. I do a little welding without gloves but try to minimize it.

7. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I agree with OIF, that crucible lift is a neat idea but after some punishment in the furnace close can become tight, and then stuck. I'd be interested to see how his lid holds out after a dozen heats.
    Looking at his video list he appears to be a pretty enterprising fellow.

Pete

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Those plastic chair wheels wouldn't last a week in my garage. Who stick welds without gloves? I especially like the clowns on tv tig welding wearing a wife beater and no gloves. Maybe all the tattoos protect their skin from the uv?:rolleyes:

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  9. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

Perhaps he runs his flame clockwise due to his location south of the Equator. :p ha
    I don't know how many conversations I got sucked into regarding the Coriolis effect on toilets & rotation of water as it drained.
    Both times I was on that side of the Equator I was without plumbing, so never got to notice.

Not sure why I've built both of my furnaces with counter clockwise flame. Probably picked it up on AA or Backyard.

His lid lifter reminds me of luckygen.

Jason likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

lol.. Yup, I've logged time on the bomb dumps.

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  11. Robert

Robert Silver

The first day I bought my TIG I made a chandelier. I wore gloves but no long sleeves. The next day both of my forearms were pink. Lesson learned!
    Robert

12. You haven't had welder burn until you've burned your....err ummm :oops: while MIG welding rust on your XB Falcon coupe while squatting and wearing short shorts. The same day I set my nylon T shirt on fire from grinding sparks. I was young but I learned fast: pain is a great memory tool.

oldironfarmer likes this.
  13. The best reason I can come up with for clockwise flame is it saves words when describing it.

Or I was afraid of the flame whipping around too fast so I've got the earth's rotation reducing the tangential speed.

I get good results.

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  14. :D:D:D

I've just never welded in shorts, although I have had shorts while welding.:rolleyes: