BIG, REALLY BIG machines for sale.

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Anyone know anyone that could use this monstrous shit? Couple of Mazak Lathes, a kingston and a Kao Fong mill of EPIC proportions with a DRO hanging off it, a shaper the size of a small truck, a nice band saw and hydraulic press. If you spot the little bridgeport, I've got my name on that.
    The ONLY guy I can think of is Adam Booth. Anyone got a number for him? This stuff isn't very far from him down here in Cajunville. If you have any desire to own any of this equipment, Please PM ME for details.

20191014_144113.jpg

20191014_144209.jpg

20191014_144205.jpg

20191014_144217.jpg
    20191014_144228.jpg

20191014_144249.jpg 20191014_144238.jpg
    20191014_144320.jpg

20191014_144259.jpg

20191014_144313.jpg

20191014_144447.jpg
    20191014_144458.jpg

And the OH MY F THATS A BIG LATHE!!!!!!!!

20191014_144137.jpg

20191014_144200.jpg

20191014_144506.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    joe yard likes this.
  2. joe yard

joe yard Silver

I want it all. I just cant afford the machinery cost or moving it to northern Indiana.
    Joe

3. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm with ya.... I'd like to spend the next 20years learning to master that stuff. I fear if we can't match this stuff up to the right buyers, it will get scrapped. The shop was active just until the last couple of years making stuff for the offshore oil industry. So two problems arise. One is finding the guys that NEED this stuff and can pay SOMETHING for it and afford to move it! That big ass lathe weighs about 15,000lbs. I'm going back tomorrow and will do some detail work documenting what's actually there. This will help me put something together to pass around. I've got a guy in houston in heavy industry so if anyone is going to want and need this equipment, he will know who it is.

Seriously guys, if you think you want any of this, I'll be happy to submit offers. Ask your questions tonight and I'll get dirty and try my best.

4. OMM

OMM Silver

It is kind of sad to see shops fold up like that. I’ve never personally been in one that is folded up, but I’ve worked with a lot of guys that have.

On one hand it’s sad, on the other hand, machines go for scrap metal pricing or slightly higher. I got my 6 x 18 hydraulic surface grinder (with no magnet or wheels) for $50 in a auction like that. And my cylindrical grinder for $250. They were too small for industry to bid and too big and heavy for the common homeowner and wrong voltage (550 V 3-phase).

In Canada, 99% of our industrial machines are 550-600 V 3-phase. It is a very complicated process to power them up without swapping motors. Generally it’s not worth it. In the USA, most machine Motors are dual voltage 208-230/440 V 3-Phase coming from the industrial sector. It is a lot easier to power up a 230 V three phase motor off of single phase household power than 440V or 550-600V. But… Nothings impossible, I am doing it.

It is interesting, keep us updated with what you get.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

I just want the dirty old bridgeport and as much tooling as I can haul off. Everything has a light coating of surface rust because of the humidity here, but it doesn't seem to be worn out. I'm interested in it because of it being a series one and it's not STUPID heavy compared to the later ones. I'm guessing around 1800lbso_O I still have to transport it 700miles home and stick it in a 2car garage.
    It is kinda sad to see this stuff not in use anymore, but the owners conducted business for a really long time and made tons of money doing it. It appears it's just time to downsize and cleanup loose ends as the folks are getting up in age. So let's call it bitter sweet and hopefully I'm in the right place at the right time!:D

6. OMM

OMM Silver

I was on the hunt for a series 1 for a few years. I ended up getting an earlier J model, with the 1 hp pancake motor with the four pulleys and high and low speed . The series 1 has high and low speed and variable speed CVT (Reeves Drive) and I believe it came with a 1.5, 2 hp motor.

In my parts the J model usually goes for $1800 and the series 1 $2400-ish but I got mine for $1200. No complaints here. (1200 Canadian is like 900 USD). I’m just in a two car garage, 21 x 24. A buddy of mine did the whole video. On the pick up and unload. I’ll see if I can upload it.
    4E89FA57-7DDC-4221-BB31-5654A768A825.jpeg

joe yard likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

Yours looks brand new compared to this rusty beast I'm looking at. I wanna flip the switch tomorrow on it.

8. OMM

OMM Silver

Yes,I just use two fence posts and a drop fall. I’m a little bit of a madman. I am the one in the black T-shirt.

dtsh, joe yard and Jason like this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

Pretty crafty! Much cheaper and probably safer than an a-hole driving a forklift.

10. Yamazaki lathes (Mazak) and Kingston are very popular, they should have no problems selling those. Maybe a notice in the Antiques section of Practical Machinist forum would really help things.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  11. joe yard

joe yard Silver

The last time i moved my LaBlond lath. I hired a man with a tilt bed wrecker. I made sleds out of 3 pieces of 1/2 inch thick 32"X 36" plate steel. We slid it across the floor and up onto the truck. He slid it off on the cement drive in front of the new shop. It was moved the final 50' to where it is now on 1" water pipe used as rollers under the plate steel
    my lath is a LaBlond 19" a bit over 8' between centers. I estimate it around 8,000 Lb.
    I have never regretted buying or twice moving this machine. I do not want to move it again!
    If this equipment was closer i would be very interested in some of it. That band saw and big mill look very nice.
    Joe

Jason likes this.
  12. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Has that rig ever kicked out on you under the load? Kinda scarey but it obviously works well.
    I've moved a number of large machines, sometimes way beyond my skill or experience and it's gotten a little dicey from time to time. Only one catastrophe. I dumped a 600lb printing press off a trailer while loading and it ended up upside down. I had 2 sixteen year old kids with me and had no idea what I was going to do. We were on the sidewalk outside the Livingston County Jail recreation yard. After scratching my head for about 5 minutes the gate in the chain link fence opened up, an officer with a shotgun stepped out and six men in orange jumpsuits walked out shortly after. They all filed over to the machine, the inmates rolled, lifted and carried the machine on the trailer. Done. They filed back in the gate and were gone. Cost me 3 cigarettes. The press still ran after that, but not for long. That's another story.

Pete

Tobho Mott likes this.
  13. OMM

OMM Silver

not yet. I strap the legs together for just a safety precaution. But, They stick under load. The chain that is attached to my receiver is rated for 8,000 pounds and the winch 3000 kg (or 3 ton). The A-frame is leaned away from my vehicle 5°ish, so the chain isn’t taking a lot of weight. It takes me almost an hour to do a lift. I don’t lift too high(20”). More than a dozen lifts and everything‘s gone as planned.

14. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Looks good Matt,
    I love to see someone using a shear leg! I have one I've used off and on to much amusement over the years. Not often used, but indispensable when needed.

15. Jason

Jason Gold

They told me today they paid 10grand for that band saw back in the day.:eek: It's small enough you could stick it in the bed of a truck.
    It's a 10inch Kysor. I will probably kick myself for not laying claim to it. Last week I was chewing through a 4inch ingot of bronze
    and it took me 20mins. :mad: I got it 3/4 of the way and split it on the anvil.:oops:
    The day of reckoning is coming with stuff like this out there!
    https://www.ebay.com/i/113770967653...MI6LGn4dee5QIVk7fsCh00RQaKEAYYASABEgKhlvD_BwE

20191015_100713.jpg 20191015_100707.jpg 20191015_100654.jpg

16. OMM

OMM Silver

I got my horizontal chop saw as kind of a package deal. At the time I didn’t really want it. I figured a 16 DoAll could pretty much do everything. I use my Startrite almost every day. Now, I don’t know how I survived with out it.

EFA3E413-8237-4E11-A0D9-C9E411E6834B.jpeg

17. Jason

Jason Gold

nice saw!

18. OMM

OMM Silver

Thanks. I am at a premium for space. For me to keep it I had to block out one of the garage doors. From the blade to the door is about 20 inches. Anything longer I need to open the door. In the middle of the winter(-30C) or summer(+32C) it really sucks to open.

19. Jason

Jason Gold

20. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Mad man ?!? If so than so am I. You do what works to get the job done.

That rig up would be a nice problem for a finals test in a first semester statics class. ;)

If I had a place to put a couple of those I'd already be on the road. At my age a 3200 mile round trip has to be broken up into 4 parts. :(
    Deals like that don't happen in my part of the world.
    Thinking:
    $30/ft^2 for a building shell.......Can't start until the spring thaw....... Where do I store them for 6 months?...... What is the building permit process like post C-19 here?.....o_O
    Just too many _little_ problems.:confused: