Bits for Carving

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by HT1, Dec 23, 2018.

1. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I know there has Been some chatter deep in some thread about Carving bits, I normally Use Dremel bits because they are available and inexpensive. I of course hand carve most of my patterns from wood, with exacto blades, and a handheld rotary tool. a Dremel, But much better here is a link
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...MI1oPcntC23wIVQVmGCh0hYgQCEAQYASABEgJP9vD_BwE

I made i crazy discovery when I needed a longer bit for a particular piece of carving, I purchased a tile cutting bit. GUY, hands down the best cutting longest life bit I have ever used, cutting hardwood like butter, far superior to the Dremel bits for carving wood, and I'm real curious to see how it will do Cleaning up brass, I occasionally use a 1/4 14Degree cone to clean up problems on plaques

just thought I would share,
    V/r HT1

[​IMG]

2. Jason

Jason Gold

I have one of those... it was 20some bucks. You're right, they last forever cutting natural stone. Ceramic tile would probably trash it pretty quick.

3. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

$13.99 I guess I found a deal or you got taken :-(

4. Jason

Jason Gold

home depot...:rolleyes:

5. _Jason

_Jason Silver

The carbide burrs, even the offbranded ones, last quite a while too. They're indispensible when you've got to hog off some material with a rotary tool!

6. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I have no problem in 1/4 inch shaft for metal work, but have found no good source for 1/8 shaft for the wood working. other then the one bit above, I find the Dremel carving bits to be awful, Harbor freight bits are scrap right out of the package.

7. I've been using the 3mm cylindrical ball nose carbide burrs from CTC tools to plunge vertically down the side of epoxy soaked MDF for my patterns. I used one 3mm burr for this complete pattern and it's still good enough to keep using. CTC tools are some kind of agent for tool suppliers so there's no guarantee you get the same product from the same manufacturer.

http://www.ctctools.biz/carbide-burrs/

turntable.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018