Blowing Snow Instead of Pouring Metal

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Al2O3, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Bummer.......What's a a lost foam caster to do?

IMG_5538.JPG

....Make patterns and prep them for casting. I'm going to do some coating experiments so I made a few more water neck foamies since I have a lot of experience with them. At least some progress.

IMG_5539.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    oldironfarmer likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

36 here... No snow. You can keep that white stuff. I hate it.

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

What's a caster to do? Bust out the furnace and melt the snow!

Those are some nice molds. What are you making again?

4. Al2O3

Bust out?....or Bust in! With the electric furnace I can melt inside (or outside), no problem. I'll only pour lost foam outside, which I could easily do by just lifting my shop door at show time. I dump my sand on my driveway to demold and won't be doing that (at least with my bigger rig....200+lbs of sand) because the sand must remain dry for LF. The smaller pieces can be done in a smaller flask, which I can dump on a pan if necessary. If the weather persists, I just may do so.

All automotive parts. Front to back, intake manifold lid, wheel carriers, coolant manifolds. They've all been covered in recent or past threads. So have you been building or casting lately??? Lol......

Best,
    Kelly

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I went to home depot and got one of those galvanized flower pots. Its freaking huge. From right next to the propane and garden stuff. It fits like 300 lbs of sand and is 2 feet diameter by 1.5 feet deep. Then a wooden moving dolley from horrible freight and the sand bed moves outside for casting. Holds my shell molds nicely. Maybe that might help with your sand?

I must have missed the threads? Been focused on interviews and my few casting projects lately. Are you rebuilding an engine then or making one from scratch? Pretty impressive either way!

6. Al2O3

C'est la vie!

With another significant snow fall forecast for this weekend, I'll likely have to resort to something similar cuz waiting til Spring isn't gonna cut it.

No engine, just miscellaneous parts to suit my whim, refine process, and gain experience.....and get some useful parts while I'm at it.

Best,
    Kelly

7. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Snow is a good reason to get yourself a 3d printer.... you could be whipping up patterns right now while waiting for it to melt :)

8. Al2O3

......or buy a license and learn to model in Solid Works.

Best,
    Kelly