Bridgeport for Beginners!

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, Dec 10, 2019.

1. rocco

rocco Silver

As a side note, I've always wondered what it is in low octane gasoline that has such a persistent odor. Any of the higher octane fuels I've used like 100LL, C12 or unleaded racing fuels have a similar odor when wet but it dissipates very quickly after the fuel has evaporated.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Benzene?

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Whatever it is it definitely known to cause cancer... in California.

4. rocco

rocco Silver

That's why I'm never moving to California, everything causes cancer there:p

5. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Good one rocco.
    The state rock is Serpentine. It is raw asbestos.

Jason likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

That explains why they are bat shit crazy out there

7. I use 95 octane E10 unleaded in my ute/light truck and whenever I reverse back through the exhaust fumes it nearly kills me as I guess the catalytic converter hasn't warmed up.

8. OMM

OMM Silver

I use 87 octane for everything. Nothing gets special treatment around here. Even my truck (or SUV, whatever you want call it, 07” Tahoe) gets just regular. It runs just like it did, in 2006 when it was taken off the lot. 13 1/2 years old, and I better get another six or eight years out of her. Three months ago picture. 98 L tank (or 26 gallons)...at $1.15/L.
    1C1FCD6E-ACE9-48AC-916A-4BF055DDA517.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

Dumb question time....
    So I took this.
    20191206_173846.jpg

And turned it into this.

20200224_033515.jpg
    and this...
    20200224_033536.jpg

But This has me scratching my head.
    Shouldn't the 10 and the 60 line up?
    What am I missing here?

20200224_134847.jpg

joe yard and OMM like this.
  10. It's a vernier scale calibrated for increments of 5 minutes of angle. As you slowly move the "10" degree mark towards the "60" minutes mark, the successive lines of the lower scale line up in turn with the lines of the upper scale in increments of 5 minutes of angle. For example if the 5 degree line on the top scale lined up with the 30 minute line on the bottom scale you'd have 30 minutes of angle or half a degree extra.

VernierscaleHow_a_vernier_scale_works.gif

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    OMM and Jason like this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks Mark. that's exactly what I was looking for.

12. OMM

OMM Silver

Jason looks great. Once upon a time this thing was worth 2 to $3000 (A Guess). You probably got it's worth up to about 3-$500 on the used market. More than that if you can make good use of it.

About three years ago I bought a HARIG fixture on the used market for $300 cash (box, Diamond and all the set ups) NEW, $3000. These are two totally different animals but with the same principle different application.

My rotary table, I would not separate with for under $2000 (as its usefulness to me). These, again are two totally different animals but with the same principle, as my has a tilting function with a three jaw chuck accessory.

Yours will do heavier machining set ups than mine ten-fold!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Jason likes this.
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks Matt. I had gotten it spotlessly clean and just used 2 coats of rustoleum for paint. Hope it holds up. I'd like to use a little better quality of paint on the bridgeport. Since going through this spinamijigger, It turns nice and smooth now. I'll put it away for now.

This week I got in a mini split AC unit for the garage. So that's the next thing on the list when I can find some time. I've been having such a ball with the bridgeport, I hate like hell now to tear it down for a couple of months for paint and cleanup. I know it desperately needs it, so nothing to do but bite the bullet. Having one of these really causes you to look at things differently. Wish I had it 10years ago.:oops:

OMM likes this.
  14. OMM

OMM Silver

The oil base rust-oleum is just fine. I redid my Lathe with the exact same colour as your rotary table (3 years ago). The paint is a bit on the soft side which is OK if prime it thin, and then two thin coats of paint. The paint tends to dent instead of big cracks/chips. I rolled it on with a dollar store foam roller.
    If I did redo my Bridgeport, i’d probably get a custom tint close to the original colour too.
    E1248C40-80F8-47C9-B277-EE183F4CCA87.jpeg

15. Jason

Jason Gold

That still looks good! I just wish the paint was a little harder. I didnt thin it, maybe I can try that. It is easy to get a nice finish and ya certainly cant beat the price!

16. OMM

OMM Silver

I’ve been running an air conditioner in the humid months. I also have one of those cheap weather stations to monitor temperature and humidity (I also have a small dehumidifier). I don’t like the shop getting to much over 40%. But in the summer I like working with the doors open. When the machines get cold and you leave the doors open they become a magnet for moisture. In the winter I keep the shop around 72°F, in the summer about 74°F.

The outdoor is the shop and this sits beside my coffee maker in my kitchen.
    BD919542-8244-4FB9-A09F-E017E8242C3B.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  17. Jason

Jason Gold

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  18. They all leak oil, like British motorbikes and Italian sportscars. A few shaft seals and some modern silicone RTV gasket sealer and you'll be good to go ;). My lathe actually has a labyrinth seal on the drive pulley shaft, so if you over fill, the oil gets dumped all over your shoes. It also has the gearbox shift levers going into the sump below the oil level and relies on rubber shaft seals to stop leaks....it's an Italian lathe so it's doubly cursed for leaks.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Jason likes this.
  19. Jason

Jason Gold

Then it would be right at home next to my jag! :D:D:p
    I sent the seller a message, let's see if it's still for sale. I can get down to austin pretty quick to cut a deal if it's not worn to hell.
    I KNOW a mill needs a lathe, but I do not want a resto project. I'm talking, like I dont even want to paint and would consider a NEW import if necessary, but I know
    they suck. Sucks I just don't have the space to pull a monster lathe out of the closing shop in Louisiana...

Are we sure NONE of you guys need some REALLY cheap large machinery??? I'd hate like hell to see this stuff get scrapped!

20. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I certainly defer to Marks experience as to the oil leak but between the overall size of the machine and the size of the motor it seems like a lot of machine for your available space. I'd look at it like you're building a furnace: "what do you want to do with it?", then size the machine from there. You're entertaining a fair amount of cash so that opens your options up a bit.

Pete

Jason likes this.