Bridgeport for Beginners!

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

I think I've seen just the lower tank for sale. I'll pull mine off tonight and see what's what.

2. OMM

OMM Silver

It would be a bonus to have the pressure system. My machine is a quite a few years older than yours. And it does not have it. My ways are pretty nice. But my machine was not in a production shop. Mine came out of the maintenance department of a print shop. I just use a hand oil pump gun.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Well this thing was a no brainer. A few pulls and it was pissing 100LL across the garage.:D
    I don't understand why these things are stupid money. hmm. I'm pretty sure it's not an airplane part.o_O

15763060194058430759191394333575.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Mark's castings likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

I've been doing some reading on indexing. Pretty cool stuff and I'm slowly wrapping my head around it. So I cleaned up the disc and gave it a twirl. My Carroll is 40:1... What is the skinny on this plate? What's it capable of?

Cleaned up pretty good.
    20191216_200041.jpg

5. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Division ;)

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks Einstein... :rolleyes:

Mark's castings likes this.
  7. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Well if you wanted the short version, you got it.
    For the long version, there's YouTube!!

8. Jason

Jason Gold

I've seen these with lots less holes. Even watched keith rucker dorking with making plates. I pissed away a half hour last night watching him make blanks and a hole and then he pussed out and sent it to someone with a cnc. I was like WTF? I don't think this one could have a single hole added anywhere. Does this mean, this is a one size fits all? I can't find any info on carroll indexers anywhere or additional plates.. Does the 118 mean it can do 118 graduations?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  9. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Below is an image of the first of more than ten pages of results from Googling “Using a dividing head”. The principles of use are the same regardless of brand.

2C9C3A40-74AF-43CA-A529-A84B8E5EBE11.png

10. OMM

OMM Silver

Once you know it is 40 to 1, it’s a little bit of trial and error with divisions.

For example. Let’s say you want to make 12 even flats around a diameter.
    you have 25, 61, 71, 83, 91 and 93 hole patterns for that index and plate

You got to get an even number.

40×25 = 1000÷12 = 83.333 repeating, does not work.
    40×61 = 2440÷12 = 203.333 repeating, does not work.
    40×71 = 2840÷12 = 236.666 repeating, does not work.
    40×83 = 3320÷12 = 276.666 repeating, it does not work.
    40×91 = 3640÷12 = 303.333 repeating, it does not work.
    40×93 = 3720÷12 = 310. This one does work. It is an even number.
    Sooo... 310÷93 = 3.333 repeating. This is 3 1/3 turns . Subtract the three full turns= .3333 repeating left over. Multiply this by 93 and it works out to = 31.

Final number when you’re using the 93 pinhole indexing plate is 3 turns and 31 holes per flat.
    If you’re looking for a little practice. It gets a little easier if you also have sector arms to preset for the remainder of a circle pinhole count.

This is one of the quizzes I give.

3E81C7EC-EDF6-416E-9FC4-02E30C5D4B42.jpeg

Jason likes this.
  11. Dividing heads are very handy bits of equipment, I used one to make the MDF patterns for a record player turntable: I used a small carbide burr to carve the strobe marks on the rim of the pattern. I was lucky enough to get a dividing head made specifically for my Mill, it has the power input spline that lets you connect it to the mill's feed screw via some change gears and then cut helical gears with it.

turntable.jpg

Jason likes this.
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

I'd fail your test.:( This boat anchor is definitely 40:1. I cranked my ass off last night to get it to turn once. It has adjustable sector arms too. What's the D118??

SO if I want 10 flats, i'd use the 25hole ring and crank 4 times, make the cut... crank 4 more times etc ????????

13. OMM

OMM Silver

You got it. Or every hole is 0.36°. A Rotation would be 9°. Or would be 36° for 4 rotations. In that situation it wouldn’t matter which pin ring you used.

The D118 is probably a plate replacement number. Cincinnati machine manufacture and Brown & Sharp manufactured a lot of these. Kelmar also made a decent indexing head that was a little more simplified

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Jason likes this.
  14. OMM

OMM Silver

Most scientific calculators will do a quick conversion for you. Some are easier than others. There is a DMS to DEG. (Usually a second function)Degrees minutes and seconds to degrees with a decimal.

15. Jason

Jason Gold

16. OMM

OMM Silver

The support will be very little. And I’ll try to help you out. It would be nice to wire this into the barrel/drum switch.

I personally deal with a Japanese company that uses Chinese product and I am a North American vendor. I cannot compete with service and set up at $70 USD with a 18 month warranty.

I wanted to, and was working on, sending you a refurbished wright off at no charge, But shipping.

Play with the three phase. VFD and oRPCs open up a world of buying from industry auctions.

I am personally set up to run 600 V three-phase, 240 V three phase, 240 V single phase and obviously 120 V single phase.

I call this three-phase Nervana from single phase.

I do have A 5 hp RPC pushed into a six kVA transformer, and a 20 hp RPC pushed into a 15 kVA transformer.

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks Matt. Shipping to/from Canada is brutal. I couldn't remember when the chinese went on holiday, so I thought I better get it moving now while the thing was still on "sale". haha:rolleyes:
    There is a crap load of YT videos on this one, so there is my tech support in a nut shell if needed.;)

18. Jason

Jason Gold

You know how you see fancy machines with shiny parts?? Well this is good enough for the girls I go out with!:p
    Maybe I should blue this stuff?
    Before and after.
    15768053608551534812372094578072.jpg

My 6in Columbia now has a little 3inch buddy. Cost a big 5bucks. If I can get it loose, it will not look like this when I'm done with it.
    20191219_165712.jpg

19. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I'll bet a wire brushing and a week or two soaking in kerosene would go a long way. That poor thing looks like it was buried out back!

20. OMM

OMM Silver

You could try electrolysis. I’ve seen about a dozen guys do this with great results. I personally have a sandblasting cabinet that I use glass beads in.