Bridgeport for Beginners!

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

I've got glass beads too. I'm not screwing with electrolysis.

It actually came apart with very little effort. The screw looks decent. Time for a swim in the evaporust with some bridgeport parts.
    20191219_202940.jpg 20191219_203558.jpg

2. OMM

OMM Silver

So you’re a Colombian guy. I’ve heard of guys like you but never known one. I personally am a Record guy.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Not really. My dad gave me a rusty 6inch years ago. I cleaned it up and powder coated it. Still looks great. I read some where wilton bought columbian out.
    They really aren't expensive to buy yet and are better than the junk the chinese make. The little one usually comes with a splitter tool that goes on the flat on the back.
    Wouldn't be too bad to make one for mine. (now that I own the right machine!!!!:p)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CO...407045?hash=item288739d8c5:g:IqIAAOSwxEldp2V3
    s-l1600.jpg

4. OMM

OMM Silver

Two of my three vices were handed down form my grandfather. The third my father was in charge of gutting a shop and gave me the fruits instead of putting in a dumpster.

5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

How would that splitter be used?

6. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

Hot cutting in very light duty blacksmithing?

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup. It's a very small hardee hole. Don't try beating a harbor freight vise, you'll bust it in half. As with any machine vise, it's still not a good idea to beat anything in the jaws too hard.
    That's what a post vise is used for. You can beat this sucker all day. It transmits the force to the floor.
    20161101_215446.jpg

8. Jason

Jason Gold

9. Jason

Jason Gold

You metal heads have got to see this.... Scroll ahead to 13:30 The rest of the video is pretty good, but the dancing mill is something else..:D

Tobho Mott likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

Shes coming back boys.. One piece at a time. "...And it didn't cost me a dime" ~ Johnny Cash
    20191222_223704.jpg 20191222_223735.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    OMM, Fasted58, joe yard and 1 other person like this.
  11. Fasted58

Fasted58 Silver

Wow, how did you clean that table n bits? Tear down or cleaned in place?

Lookin' good!

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks! Oh the tear down is coming. I was just farting around here with it. Avgas, steel wool, naval jelly in some areas and lots of elbow grease.

13. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Great to see good iron land in the shed of a guy who appreciates it. For flat machined and ground surfaces, the fastest way to remove rust and varnished oil is a single edged razor blade. Does no damage.
    Mark

14. Fasted58

Fasted58 Silver

@ Jason, I'll be following your progress. I have a 3-phase J2 that I'll be cleaning up this year.

15. Jason

Jason Gold

Let's see it Fasted58

I got my DRO and VFD in. The DRO lit up and the scales responded without any issues so far. The instructions suck really bad so it's time to find a DRO for idiots on YT.
    Great big display on this thing. Those numbers are 1 inch tall.
    20200106_184353.jpg

joe yard likes this.
  16. rocco

rocco Silver

A real quick search on YT show tons of DRO related videos, hopefully you won't have to filter through too much crap before finding some that are useful to you, happy hunting and good luck.

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup.. let the shit show begin. Some how my X scale grew by over A FOOT in shipping. Hmmm... My table is 42" in length. So I bought a 950mm X axis scale. (last time I checked that's around 37")
    Funny how what I got hangs over each end by at good inch. Sellers of these cheap DRO's seem to do a piss poor job of describing what is length. (travel or over all??)
    Doesn't matter. I've got a good foot to learn how to shorten this scale. I didn't bother to check the others and I'm sure they are too long too. There is a dude on YT that hacked it with a band saw. I think I'll take the gentler approach and slice it on the wet saw. Always learning..:rolleyes:

18. They can be usually trimmed to size, there's a glass scale inside with fine lines on the surface. Be careful if it's vacuum deposited metal on the glass as water can damage the thin deposit, you may be able to score and snap the glass to size, or even just snap the glass to size.

I have some glass disc rotary encoder that were sold as being stainless steel deposited on glass: they ended up with pinhole corrosion on the encoder disc from ambient moisture and I was all set to start using them in a product but held off.....so glad I did as it would have been a warranty fiasco caused by marketing BS.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  19. John

John Copper

I cut my DRO glass scales with a dremel with one of the diamond blades and a few drops of water---pretty easy.

20. OMM

OMM Silver

I ordered my DRO and it was delivered exactly the way I ordered it. I ordered it a little bit too long on the X scale too. But not too long. The guarding half covers my drain holes. I guess I could scallop them.

I was not interested in cutting the glass scale, as the model I went with had a triple read glass scale. I would have had to cut about 2 inches off both sides.

I really just need to scallop the shielding and direct port the coolant.

I would’ve been so much smarter, if I just ordered the DRO 4 inches smaller. Live and learn.