Bronze Anchor

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

How do you patch the holes without getting slurry leaking inside the shell where it doesn't belong?

Jeff

2. Jason

Jason Gold

I put some slurry in a shallow cup and mix some course silica sand into a thick paste. Then I paint on slurry a couple times over the patch. Now that 99% of the wax is gone, it will go into the kiln up to 1700 while waiting for the bronze to melt. That will put the real cure on the shell.

Good question.

3. Tobho Mott

Good answer! :D

Jeff

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Here we go!!!!!!!!! My pyrometer acted goofy tonight for some reason. First time I read something like 975 science, so I heat the crucible another 10minutes and got 800, then 675.... I said screw it and took Barry's advice from outback foundry. Tonight for the first time I saw what he was talking about. It's really hard to describe, but it's a strange looking almost oil slick rolling on the surface of the bronze. I pulled the shell and poured it immediately. No wierd pink bronze, no rough surface, no pits, no nothing. ABSOFRIGGENLUTELY PERFECT TEMPERATURE! I might just toss my pyrometer in the trash if I get results like this again. I'll work on a video when I can. For now, here is some photos of tonights work. It's getting chilly here so a space heater on the oil tank made sure it flowed easy. The melt was so fast, I could have completed it with straight jet-A

IMG_20171122_119.jpg IMG_20171122_0787.jpg IMG_20171122_1375.jpg

IMG_20171122_1971.jpg IMG_20171122_2186.jpg

IMG_20171122_2629.jpg IMG_20171122_2858.jpg

IMG_20171122_3308.jpg

Mark's castings and OCD like this.
  5. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

That came out perfectly Jason. Inspirational stuff!

6. Tobho Mott

Nice! Good job, I bet she's gonna love it.

Jeff

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks guys... I'll get on the patina soon. I found two small brass key chain anchors in his toolbox. I'll give her the second one with this. I should win uncle of the year for sure. lol

8. OCD

OCD Silver

About TIME you casted something cool and worth while. :p

Jason likes this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

And what have you created today? ;) Thanks for the like.

10. OCD

OCD Silver

Honey Baked ham, homemade stuffing w/ caramelized sweet onions, candied baby carrots, baked sweet potatoes with liquored cinnamon butter, pumpkin pie and one hell of a mess making it all. :D

Then I went and took a nice nap after dinner. :p

Opps, forgot about breakfast, homemade biscuits and sausage gravy.

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody

PS, Good luck chewing on that anchor brother. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Nice clean pour :)

.... I wrote this hours ago but also fell asleep after my thx giving lunch haha.

I want to see it cleaned up. Are you patina ing it?

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah.. I'm a one trick pony... LOS hot patina with a wax finish.

John, I'll be at your house tomorrow for left overs! Save me some of those candied carrots! They always go first.

13. OCD

OCD Silver

Chew on your anchor. :D

14. Jason

Jason Gold

Done... LoS patina... wax finish. Found a KILLER wax, bowling alley wax. Amazing stuff. $25 bucks and worth it for indoor stuff. too bad the photo is crappy.. the top bar of the anchor looks like wood with that texture.

IMG_20171127_47133.jpg

IMG_20171127_51975.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

As promised.... On with the show!

Melterskelter and Tobho Mott like this.
  16. Tobho Mott

Wow, another great casting! Good job, she is gonna love it I bet.

Jeff

17. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looks good. I would like to see more done on the patina though. Maybe a two tone finish with the stock being darker than the shank and fluke? Kinda falls into the "whats your favorite color" personal preferences/beauty is in the eye of the beholder thing..... so don't mind me :p
    How do you make a green patina anyways?? :D

18. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Careful with that stuff. If its the same as I remember its like napalm in a can. Throw a blob up on the ceiling and light it, or coat your rear tires light it and do a burn out and you'll see :rolleyes::rolleyes: Dont ask how I know this.

19. Tobho Mott

Several (untested and not likely as reliable as the recipes in Jason's fancy new book) recipes for patinas, including several greens, here:
    https://www.sciencecompany.com/DIY-Patina-Formulas.aspx

Anyone tried any of these? I saw a few links to salt + vinegar verdigris recipes too while looking that up. The one I clicked on looked kind of blue-green. Pretty sure someone posted pix of some bronzes that were left to soak in salt water that picked up a nice green or blue-green patina as well, might have been some or Rasper's seashells but don't quote me on that, I'm going strictly on my aging memory here.

Jeff

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Cupric nitrate gives a green finish. Salt water would work, but not easily predictable or fast.